1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Engine Oil frequent loss.

At the moment I am having bit of trouble regarding engine oil level in my Linea Petrol (1.4 Fire).I got my 3rd service done in the monthe of June 2011 to be precise and usual change of Selenia engine oil was done.I purchased the 4l pack and the car consumed 3.3L at that time and I kept the remaining 0.7L.I
    In the month of November I casually checked the engine oil level and to my surprise it was almost (90%) empty:eek:
    Then and their I poured in the remaining 0.7L of the engine oil and after few hours checked the level.Now it was almost upto the brim.At that time I didn't paid any serious attention to the matter.Again today after about 4 months I checked and the level and again the same thing happened.At the moment the engine oil level is critically low.AFAIK there is no leakage of any sort in the car.It happened a year ago also when I had to take the car to TASS where I got it refilled but the mechanic their could not decipher the real cause.
    Should I take the car to the TASS (which will require time) or refill the engine oil with Castrol Fully synthetic one since TASS will not sell Selenia like that I mean for normal Sale.
    Is this behavior unusual since car has run only about 5.5k kms after its 3rd service in about 7 months ?
    Will it be ok to pour Castrol in it without draining out the remaining Selenia from it ?
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

You can use any 5w-40 API SM rated oil in the car, all oils can be mixed together no need to drain selenia and fill castrol.
    There are several reports of 1.4 Fire Engine requiring top up between service interval but requiring top up twice in 5.5 k kms is not normal I advice you to get the car checked at TASS.
    I can buy Selenia off the shelf from ASS here in Chandigarh shouldn't be different in your city
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Some synthetic oils can handle mixing, others cannot! Even if they are of the same grade and viscosity. Because we are talking of semi synthetic (Selenia) and fully synthetic (Castrol) here.

I'll try to dig up a PDF where Motul detailed about which oils could mix with what and let you know.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

gurjinder all oils whether synthetic, semi-synthetic or good old mineral can be mixed together with no problems.
    GL5 rated gear oils, Dot5 rated brake fluid and Long Life coolants (Don't remember their name) can not be mixed together, Motul must have mentioned these in that PDF
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  5. how much engine oil is required in fiat punto diesel.. ?? For full oil change.. and whats the preferable brand ?? I am from Kolkata..
  6. Got my Linea topped up with Selina engine oil as I purchased it off the shelf from the TASS.According to the mechanic their 1.4FIRE has a huge appetite for engine oil and this is absolutely normal (but I still don't believe this:rolleyes:).Car drank a complete 1L pack of the oil.I purchased one extra pack for any future use or rather emergency;)
  7. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

3.2 litres if you are replacing filter also. Selenia Wr is the FIAT recommended one. if you want the absolute best go for Mobil Delvac 1:)
  8. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    Grande Punto 1.3
    cant exactly figure out where to put it so here it goes

for the past 2 days whenever I start my MJD the MID shows check engine oil pressure, cant really figure out what the cars upto now, the car was serviced at 40k kms and it stands at 41679kms right now, any idea what could be wrong
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Do a quick oil level check on a cold engine. Remember to wipe the dipstick clean with a cloth and then take a reading.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

95% oil level has been dropped. 5% i leave upto the sensor error if oil level is perfect.

Dont drive with that light on, might prove fatal to the engine.