1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello folks,
    Looking for petronas mgdo, 4 l pack,
    Enquired mass but they don't have/or don't wanna sell,
    Searched online, but didn't found,

Does mass sell the oil off the shelf or not ?
    Regards
    Vicky
  2. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    OK. Update: driven almost 350kms after the change; home to work and back. Absolutely smooth, no issues at cold start, no change in mileage, no change in drivability. So, I think the oil is good for 1.2 FIRE as well! Having said this, Delhi isn't so cold this year. Will post again at 1000kms. And yes, I filled the balance quantity, about 300ml. So full 3 liters in the mill now.
    Ganges likes this.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Selenia is quite efficient ...no need to spend exorbitant sums on heavy duty synthetic oil which I feel is just a gimmick.Just get it changed at regular interval specified..I would say 10000 kms.
  4. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Has anyone tried using Voltronic 5W40 engine oil. I am thinking of using this oil. Any reviews would be helpful compared to Mobile Delvac 1.
    Currently i am using Mobile Delvac 1 FS and quite satisfied with it. Absolutely low NVH. Have driven 10000kms and due for oil change next week.
  5. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76 . If you are happy with the Delvac 1, stick with it. Voltronic is new in Indian market and dont know anyone who has tried it yet.
    asimpleson likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Unless it specifically formulated for diesel I for one would not bother experimenting. Agreed with @kunwar.g If you are still interested to try out check their website and specs and a few reviews on international forums. There are I am aware some special and rare brands that provide top quality oil formulations, apparent from their HTHS numbers and user inputs. So depends if you want to play safe or if the pricing is lucrative.
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks for inputs. I am getting for 1000 per ltr for Voltronic. Heard good feedback from other users in DDIS Swift with drain interval of 15000kms. I checked the box and it does not mention Diesel Engine Oil. It mentions only Fully Synthetic Motor Oil.
    Delvac 1 by far has been good since last 30000kms.

Also, what would be the impact of using 5W30 grade instead of 5W40 grade on MJD?
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    How is Motul X-cess 8100 5W40 FS oil for Fiat MJD. Any reviews would be helpful.
    In BLR, shops are quoting 6300 for 5L can. Any inputs would be good.
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Reviews suggest, it's "the best" that u can get for your car. A few passionate Swift owners have used it.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Oils get contaminated sooner than we think and 15k kms interval works in many cases and doesn't in MANY. Should one take chances is every person's own call. That said semi synth with diesel engine special formulations are better and not a marketing gimmick in many cases. Diesel do need extra additives for extreme temperatures and soot carrying capabilities without loosing valuable lubrication capabilities. Motul Tekma Mega or Shell Rimula are oils that are better suited especially for harsher hotter humid and dusty Indian environment. For cold or very cold environments argument for synthetic is valid.

5w30 is thinner oil and will provide better fuel efficiency but possibly at reduced HTHS rating or factor. Meaning lesser protection against friction. Hence better to stick to 5w40 or 10w40 for more start stop usage patterns. Else a 15w40 also works as far as its made for diesel and has proper API or Euro ratings. Trick being not to use oils beyond 7.5k kms for obvious reasons. I wouldn't trust fully synthetic oil beyond 10k kms either.