1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    @Ganges, Have you tried Liqui Moly CERATEC or ABRO Oil Treatment, any experience about these products, they come as 440ml cans which need addition during oil filling.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @sriramr9
    i stayed away from the oil additives, not yet tried anyone.Though i ordered Nulon product but didnt used it.i'm happy with per 7500Kms oil change. :)
    asimpleson likes this.
  3. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    @Ganges and all, I have bought the Helix 10W40 HX7 for the next service due. I plan to replace the HX7 every 8000km. I hope it is as good for the 1.2 mill as it is for the 1.3! The change will be done end December, just when peak winter sets in NCR...so the engine gets fresh oil to combat the harsh winter.
    Ganges likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @puntophile
    i dont have enough knowledge on petrol engines hence cant comment on that part of oil grade use.Coming to MjD i'm very much satisfied with per 7500Kms change.Also happy with both brands of oil TOTAL and SHELL with grade 10W40.After driving for more than 1lakh 67 thousand Kms, i still get the back push/punch feel on my seat upon 2000 rpm.
    puntophile and Pradeepms like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @puntophile, please warm up the engine daily during extreme cold at Delhi. As far as engine keeps running the oil should help. Or else for winter please use 5w40 selenia. We need good protection for startup.

@Ganges, tried Cyclo USA (now pidilite) additive for engine oil. Overall the note has changed, but the gruffness isn't as reduced as I experienced with ARAL based oil I had tried before long back. In fact no oil till date has given that amount of smoothness. Selenia is at par and better in some areas atleast from the NV felt during driving.
    puntophile and Ganges like this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @asimpleson
    After using 10W40 for more than 80K Kms, i'm planning once to change with 5W40(Mostly TOTAL) to see if i can find any NVH difference.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Just take care of the oil seal. I have mentioned before. For example changing to 5w40 helix ultra cause a seal leak. The seal was already weak and oil spilled out in the bottom engine bay. The said issue is mentioned here in Post #5.
    So change of oil grade esp. to thinner Fully Synthetics can cause unpleasant surprises.
    Ganges likes this.
  8. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    "Just give it a solid 4000 rpm rush maybe 4 to 5 times in idle (in hot) after 5K km..."
    Is it OK to push accelerator at idling to that extant? Even if it is hot? I doubt.
    Somebody please throw some light here.
  9. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    "Just give it a solid 4000 rpm rush maybe 4 to 5 times in idle (in hot) after 5K km..."
    Is it OK to push accelerator at idling to that extant? Even if it is hot? I doubt.
    Somebody please throw some light here.
  10. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Seasons greetings and a Happy New Year to all of you.

Took the plunge: replaced 9800km old selenia K to Shell helix HX7 10w40 today at FNG; semi DIY. The selenia had become quite dark, almost black. I could instantly feel a smoothness. Perhaps it is the new oil, perhaps it is the goodness of Helix, but the car feels just fine and very relaxed post the 30 kms I have driven since the oil change. Mine is a 1.2 Punto and I have filled 2.7 liters and the dipstick is at 3/4th mark. Will observe for a week and top up if needed. I drained the oil for a long time....20 minutes at least. The filter is an OE part from 99rpm. Air filter and AC filter: will clean/change tomorrow depending on inspection result. Complete DIY. PS oil, Coolant and Gear oil will be changed at scheduled time in February, again semi DIY. I wanted the car to have new oil just before harsh winter. Similarly, new coolant before harsh summer :p. Brake bleeding will be sometime in January, again full DIY.
    Hebbar, Rama and kunwar.g like this.