1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Honestly I feel we can stick to the fiat spec Selenia. The total no of MJD engines manufactured and running on Selenia is far greater than the experimenters. Safest is to stick to the the OE spec and reduce the drain period to 7.5 or 10 K kms. Fiat has a greater risk of financial loss if their engines dont perform well during the warranty period. So the selenia for sure has passed that gruelling test to preserve the engine in good condition and save Fiat.

Abdul
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There is no doubt that Selenia is a good product. Although ZDDP content additives and certain additives that reduce tappet noise further are improvements that are possible in oil. Both of which will improve the smoothness and wear and tear protection levels for engine and reduce vibrations.

Some do report better engine response and feel to Mobile 1 Delvac for example, and yes Selenia is best used especially during warranty to avoid hassles with the company.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    The FASS may happily accept our request to use Mobil 1 or any other fully synthetic oil during warranty, but the absence of a lubricant sale entry in the service invoice will mean that the customer has not changed oil ( at customer request ) or has given a non spec oil ,a note of which they will make separately. If any engine claim arises, then Fiat can use that self administered non spec oil as a reason to deny warranty. The only way out is to fill selenia at the FASS , come out drain it and then use the oil of our choice;)

Abdul
  4. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That becomes too expensive. I was in the same fix and what has worked for me is using Nano Energizer engine additive. Cost Rs 700 /- ( slightly lower than the cost difference with fully synthetic ). Engine is smoother, vibration and sound has reduced to almost like an aged Petrol engine.
    jumu likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g
    is it additive or engine oil ? From the website, it seems like they are much promising with results.

Testreport1.jpg
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its an additive at 30ml per packet
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I know of one person atleast who did that. Although I feel its an overkill. A better way to is buy it out and sell or use later, provided FASS people are willing to oblige. That should take care of invoice. This could work for people who would not cross say 60k kms till extended warranty periods. If running is exceptionally high the costs could be too much for this whole affair. In which case again, after market SS grade oil could be used at say 8k kms till 15k or time based schedule is reached.
  8. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g what is the negatives on long run by using this?
    And where we can get this?
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Pradeepms - For now the only negative I think is that you might get addicted to the after effects of using it. I keep asking my wife, do you feel we are driving a diesel car. Answer is always "no". LOL . The only negatives i read online are from people who will not use it stating its not worth the money and etc. For me its worth it just cause of the difference it bring in. Haven't heard any negative review from people who have used it

It was available on motoonline. but they have stopped providing it. Then it was available on Amazon for Rs 700, but shows OOS for now. The same price is listed on NE website, however I haven't procured from NE directly. Cost is Rs 700 on NE website.
    Pradeepms likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I spoke to the guy aT nano energizer . they are based in chennai. He was not very keen to sell to me because my engine was young at under 15,000 kms. He would recommend for engines that have run more than 30K only. It is basically an energizer or rejuvenator for older engines. What it does is fill up the scoring marks on the cylinder and and other parts where wear and tear has happened, thus improving the compression. It is not a lubricant like the Nulon. It is a nano ceramic filler. I would go for Nulon to provide better slipperiness.

Abdul
    kunwar.g likes this.