1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Finally, FASS rejected my service saying I have not complied previous service at 30000kms. And also had given service out of FASS.
    As of now I am at 45000kms exactly. However, my previous service was done at 36500 Pride Motors, BSK, Bangalore.
    Will go to the same place at 50000kms service.
    Even though I took the engine oil, they confirm saying that we have to buy Selenia to bill it and within warranty. Mine is already nearing ending Extended Warranty in Mid-2015. Will stick to Pride or FASS based on problems faced.
    Mobil Delvac 1 has been pretty good till now. I am loving it every km driven. Engine is super smooth.
    Had spent 8000rs in May 14 for 36500kms service with all filters & engine oil replaced. No issues with the car till now. Touch wood.
    Should I have clutch/brake pads checked just in case.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Changed Engine oil to Total Quartz 10W40 from Shell helix HX7 10W40.

3. Hi,
    I dont feel oils of different brand of same grade will do magics :). But I want to know, will the oil quality lasts till 15 K Kms ? or it is just a marketing gimmick, as so many says to me. But a friend of mine, who is a SA for FIAT says, it is 100% OK if you change at 15K interval. My only doubt is, every other car manufacturer recommends for a 10K Kms oil change and in Bangalore like city engine takes a beating in this heavy traffic. Can any Punters throw light on this by their experience?
  4. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

When manufacturers recommend a specific oil change interval, it would have been surely tested and arrived upon. I dont think it is any different with Fiat. Also I believe even VW has 15K interval. Previously most manufacturers used to go with mineral oil with 10K or 6 month interval. Then it was moved to semi synthetic and now the trend is with fully synthetic oils and it can very well last for 15K kms as our usage is not in tracks and hence we will not be revving the nuts out of the engine all the time.

That said, I have seen many people changing the oil in 10K intervals and even lesser in some cases. That is to do with their peace of mind and obviously as per many, it is better to be safe than sorry. Also the engine runs a lot smoother with shortened intervals. That said a close friend of mine has a 2009 punto and he uses Mobil Delvac and he changes oil at 20K intervals or more, if not lesser. he has already done 1.3 lakh+ kms and I have not seen any issues in his car. Also one friend in my hometown uses MAK10W-30 semi-synthetic oil in his Punto and changes at 10K intervals and again car is running smooth.

I was changing the oil at 15K intervals till I got my car remapped and now I change it in 10K intervals. This is again for my peace of mind.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @Subramanya Prasad, the recommended Selenia WR5W40 is semi synthetic. Not to say it is a cheap quality oil, it is specially formulated/tested for MJD by Fiat as per requirements. Climate conditions and drive conditions and usage pattern all must be taken into account while considering a change schedule. Normally semi-sythetic should be good for 5-7.5kms or more depending on oil formulation and engine type. For semi-synthetic we know very less about actual percentages of base stock (mineral) and synthetic additives of most oils including Selenia.

If Fiat recommends a change at 15K, ideally it is within safety limit for all conditions. Also if you are in warranty or EW better stick to Selenia.
    Saket Sidana likes this.
  6. nethan

nethan Amatore

My 2nd service was done @ 9k+ kms during Nov 2014 at FASS after 12 months .
    Engine oil was replaced as per chart.
    Now my Punto has clocked 13k+ kms.
    Yesterday I checked my oil and I found that it was very dark though it was not sticky.
    Is this normal ?
    will post the picture of my oil dip stick in the daytime.

Note: using Fiat recommended Oil. 90 % of driving is on highways.

Thanks !
  7. bibin

bibin Regolare

Dear All,

i interacted with three FASS (2 in kerala and 1 in in TN)...all 3 has recommended the same as mentioned below.

1) Fiat recommends oil changes for cars in warmer climate esp (south India) @10000 kms to ensure timing belt last long.

2) Selenia WR5W40 which is recommended is good till 10k but they are not sure of it performance after 10k. They very strongly recommend oil change after 10k (very strongly for south indian cars).

3) I thought initially dealers want to reduce our service interval and bill us more but it came as wrong perception when they mentioned that we have the option to change the oil @10k and rest of the service @ 15 k interval.

8. Hi,

Oil will turn black even if you run just 500kms, hence no worries. You can keep it going til 15K or 10K kms based on your oil interval :).
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After driving for more than 7K Kms in one and half month with TOTAL 10W 40, felt better than shell 10 W 40 in terms of engine smoothness.i'm now totally converted into TOTAL :D
    GirishRaghu and asimpleson like this.
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Got Shell Rimula R4 15W-40 CI4 Plus poured in the engine today, engine is liking it even better than Delvac 1.
    Ganges and asimpleson like this.