1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    They don't sell these everywhere in Mumbai. The only Shell you see is HX7 10W once in a while. You get an alien look if you ask for Shell. They only know CasTroll or CastorOil...:mischievous

Any idea if semi-synth Shell Helix Diesel is available. Also sold as HX7 Diesel oil.

SHELLHXD4_001.gif
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That is really strange. 15W40 is the bread and butter oil for any company in India. So many cars/jeeps etc use it and Shell does not have it in Mumbai.

I have used R3X in Palio and will stick with it. I even used the leftover oil in my Enfield and it was equally happy.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    They are not aggressive in selling yet. The majority market relies on mechs for oil changes, so they want to sell something that covers them and mechs as well with better money margins.

I just wished they had the Diesel marked oils either mineral or semi-synth, the Siena never performed better with any other oil.
  4. UTTAM SAINI

UTTAM SAINI Timido

Faridabad
    Faridabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi guys..m new joinee in team fiat..basically from Chd but currently settled in Faridabad...my punto 1.3 MJD has clocked 74,700 km and is geared up for its next service..Till last service I have got it done from authorized service centres only but now as its out of warranty so i need advice of all experts here whether i should continue from service centre or get it done from any local mechanic...

Another question is regarding engine oil..till now engine oil has been changed only during service (i.e. at 15000km interval) and car is perfroming well but any how not satisfied with smoothness of engine and also FE is not upto the mark.. from same car I have got FE of 25kmpl on trip to Chandigarh (from faridabad) and now a days its around 21kmpl. So to retain smoothness in Engine and Good FE kindly suggest me some good engine oil.

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.
  5. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Friends,
    My vehicle was serviced at 22500kms. And later when the engine got rough I serviced from outside at 34000kms with engine oil change.
    I have used Mobile 1 Diesel Oil and the engine is smooth compared to Selenia. And the pick up has improved compared to Fiat engine oil.
    Now, I nearing to 45000kms and would like to give FASS service.
    However, I want to ask SA if I can use Mobile 1 again and do the servicing.
    Also, will there be any issues as I have not given for service in between 22500 and till now. Mine is Nov 2011 model Fiat Punto.
    Please suggest.
  6. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    Seems like you'll face issues in extended warranty for sure,

You can buy the can to retain the warranty,

But don't pour it in your car,

Instead pour the synthetic oil,

One more advice get the Mobil delvac 1,

It's superior than Mobil 1, in case of diesel engine.

My service is also due in a couple of days,

I am going to use delvac 1 this time.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That depends on honesty and skill of local mech or the dealer; dealers SCs have more no. of cars they repair daily and are better equipped like reading fault codes etc. But certain mechanical jobs can be done by local mechanic for fraction of cost, and perhaps better or in more details than SC guys. However, there aren't many local mechanics or garages who know if, how or when to use a scanner or where to use a torque wrench and how much to set it at. So I guess both have their pro and cons, but it depends on willingness to spend on a particular problem and/or the complexity of the job involved. There isnt one answer for all car related service situations I guess. One needs to decide case per case depending on type and no. of problems and the willingness to spend over a particular issue looking at overall complexities within the car health and then take a call.

You should go for Mobil Delvac 1 if you are looking for FS grade, however the Shell 10W40 is good enough esp. if there is no freezing temperatures where you stay, just that semi-synth oils should be changed at half the interval of fully synthetic oils.

SA will or wont agree with after-market oil (efficacy), but he certainly cannot comply with after-market oil request as he can loose his job over recommending unofficial unapproved engine oil. Even if they oblige changing oil which I doubt they will, it will still be unofficial and off the record. Service at recommended intervals if Extended warranty needs to be claimed later. Also, not good idea to go unchecked for such long intervals. If and whether there are some issues developed you will know after visiting FASC., hopefully nothing major props up.

Best of Luck..!
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Indeed i am using Mobile Delvac 1. I was using Mobile Delvac for Maruti Swift as well. And MASS had agreed to use other engine oil within the prescribed limit. Not sure why FASS will make such fuss about it. I find Selenia looses steam after 10K kms. Find it very rough given the usage of city and highway driving. Since I have done engine oil change at 34000kms, the oil will run till 49K kms. Not sure if I need to change at 45K kms. Its very smooth till now.
    So, probably I should allow them to charge the Selenia Oil on bill and pour Mobile Delvac 1. Thats going to be waste of money.
    Let me check with SA and finalize.
  9. UTTAM SAINI

UTTAM SAINI Timido

Faridabad
    Faridabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi guys..just coming from local mechanic in faridabad after getting serviced my punto diesel (75000km).. it cost me around 2880/-
    1. 1850/- (3.5 litre Mobil 1 5w40 engine oil)
    2. 340/- air filter
    3. 120/- oil filter
    4. 220/- 1litre coolant top up
    5. 350/- Labour Charges

I asked to change diesel filter also but he insisted that it is still in good condition and will work for further 10000 kms. On this point I need your advise that should I get it changed or continue as suggested by mechanic.

Posting pic of diesel engine oil used

20141129_111817.jpg

20141129_111805.jpg
    puntophile likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If it is specified in a particular FASC schedule to change Diesel filter at a specific interval best to adhere to that. Check the change interval at an authorised FASC and then change it accordingly.

Hopefully you are using Paraflu premix coolant or concentrate type in proper mixture ratio.