1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Ganges 10w is not more efficient than 5W (but efficient enough) or arguably passable for our moderate to high temperature needs. Flow characteristics (useful when engine is cold) and HTST (high temperature high shear) factor no. decide the protective capabilities of an engine oil. 5W means better flow characteristics than 10W esp. in cold start conditions.

Engine Oil needs to perform well by not changing it's viscosity index at variable engine temperature. Crudely speaking at higher temperature. The shear factor comes into play here at 100degC or higher when the oil molecular structure is challenged much more. So cold protection and high temperature protection both needs to be addressed by a properly formulated engine oil.

A mineral oil formulated for Diesel can arguably produce better results than a synthetic oil specially formulated for a Petrol. HTHS in a way also can also translate into higher oil change intervals.

Diesel specific oils are better and safer bet for the long term health of our MJD engines.

If Helix HX7 was marked as 9.55595-N2 instead of 9.55535 H2 it would mean a longer drain interval as well. Note that Selenia WR or wide range is the recommended semi-synth or hydrocracked oil (mineral or petroleum based oil) that can potentially work on a gasoline engine as well. But it supposedly contains special additives and ingredients for the diesel engine and turbocharger functioning. Also ofcourse it has longer drain interval. If the car is in warranty nobody should experiment with their own choice of oils except if dealer supports it, but Fiat won't anyhow. One needs a bill with Selenia mentioned at proper service intervals to support engine warranty claims.
    </dd></dl>
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Actually my point is requiremnet Vs oil properties so it will boil down to if those specs really needed for particular engine
    Just example of ambinet temperature , here is how they are

engineoil.jpg

so you can see for ambinet temperature 5w-40 suits us perfectly no need for 10w

Same things with additives, scoot carrying/cleaning capacity - do we need different enhanced spec for that?
    I am just saying we should not go "overboard" with oil .

3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The underlying point about 5w or 10w, synth and semi-synth. is about the money savings and good alternatives in aftermarket. ::D
    On the contrary to your statement we probably don't need 5w oils when 10w could work just as well. But that is a pretty risky move and statement; one that would be argued by experts, due to intricate component workings of the engine internals like the bearing tolerances, hydraulic lifters etc. And they are very correct too. :smile:

10w (helix hx7) as an example is not an enhanced spec. It is lower spec. oil than 5w40, that has good properties of carrying and cleaning with certain limitations. A good cheap alternative though not the best. Matter of fact 5w oils esp. aftermarket are mostly fully synthetic (enhanced specs) in that comparison. Barring Selenia WR 5W which is Semi-Synth. (still not a low grade oil).

We don't intend 'going overboard' with oil. These are just plain discussions if you will. ::O
    It's a matter of personal choice if they may not interest one. :grin:
    Some of us like to know our alternatives. Both in expensive and cheaper varieties of oil. I for one don't like to make choices on hearsay and common perceptions, especially when abundant details are available to make informed choices. Look at the discussions on tyre thread for example. All consumable/ consumable spares will be discussed in detail depending on the frequency of change needed, and the cost and choices involved. Everyone wants the best bang for buck, esp. if it doesn't involve experimenting, but some of us do experiment and report back. Don't mind. :razz:
  4. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Sorry if i did not convey properly , when i said overboard , i was not refering to discussion but to specification.
    I am always in for other alternative.
    Btw i had used Mobil delvac 1 5W 40 for my punto , Found it pretty good

5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    As far as oil don't burn up earlier in it's prescribed life, while maintaining viscosity and reaching and lubricating every critical part of the engine (with good flow characteristics), it's a good oil.

For aftermarket IMHO, irrespective of brand, best to use oil marked or labelled diesel to have better additives and protective capabilities, since one can't be too sure when it comes to how the engine would react to different multipurpose oils. A damage once done is pretty much irreversible simply by changing oils to best quality afterwards. I have had good results with Shell Engine oils esp.; oddly that too the cheaper substitutes in Shell. :)

I would like to stay near manufacturer specified oil specs as much as possible, without giving into marketing tactics.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Btw one doubt.
    I am using MD1 and im planning to run it for 13k at least.
    Ive done 11k. Is it ok to run or should it be changed.
    Mine is mostly city drives for now

Sent from my RM-892_im_india_216 using Tapatalk
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check engine oil level

5w 40 has drain interval of 15K Kms,you can run for another 4k Kms.

Ayyways its always good to have a fresh,it serves for good.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I regularly check the level and top up if needed.
    My only concern here is whether I can run the oil for longer or should I change right away as my driving has been purely in the city

Sent from my RM-892_im_india_216 using Tapatalk
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Can you post some pics how you do the oil top yourself ? Also how much has your car run and why will you be needing the intermittent top up's how do you ensure you are not over filling ?
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I can explain in simple words. Even though 0W40 oil is costly and serves better range its not good for a person staying in mumbai or pune. 10W40 is more than enough for him.

5W40 is nothing but the oil is 5W when the engine is cold. When the engine which is designed for 40w oil starts at 5w oil there is certain friction which is not good for health. So for a person staying in coastal ara 20W40 or 10W40 is better bet than 5W40