1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Keep digging but don't let others know. Do it with utmost secrecy, for your eyes only. We shall exchange notes via PM if you discover something. :lol Look, I am a genuine person who tries giving genuine answer, but that would be bragging would'nt it? :lol:

Anyways, I would term it as an attempt to be truthful and not unjust towards any oil or brand, especially since I have not heard about it on the forum, especially from my brethren here who's verdict and anaysis on things can be trusted. Further more please understand, that most suggestions here you can follow after making a mental note of things that sound genuine to yourself, after users post their personal experiences for greater benefit of forum users. Should I assume you have gone through most posts here about 720 as I am typing. Please make time as and when possible and do it. Lots of new questions and answers are there, that can make you an expert to not rely ever on hearsay from oil resellers and mechanics, and marketing personnel.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. GopinB

GopinB Timido

Itanagar
    TOTAL Quartz 5W40

Changed engine oil to my 1.4 Fire with TOTAL Quartz 5W40 as i couldn't procure any other oil. Warranty period is over so gave it a try. Bought it for 4300/-

20140415_082137.jpg
    20140415_082249.jpg

Initial Observation:

1) Clattering sound is gone. Earlier whenever i used to startup in the morning it used to give a clattering sound for few seconds like a diesel engine.

2) Reduction in NVH.

3) Pick-up seems to be improved.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Good to know the oil is working well. ::T

Make sure you fire-up the Fire engine regularly. The oil should hold well in cold climate region otherwise. :)
    When running is low, an early morning cold start to warm-up the engine for a few minutes will see that the internals are well soaked in oil periodically.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yesterday changed the oil which has ran for 14K Kms on Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40.For next 6K Kms decided to have 10W 40 HX7.1300 INR for 3.5Ltr Can.

helix.jpg
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Good Choice, It's working pretty well in Linea. ::T
    1 person likes this.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

What about HX6 diesel from Shell? The yellow cans of grade 15W40.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    15W40 Shell Diesel should work pretty well, but I would not risk too much. :)

We are trying to stay near the manufacturer specifications. What I actually wanted in HX7 Diesel, but plain HX7 one works well also. For the next oil change I am trying to find HX7 Diesel. Else maybe switch back to Selenia WR.

- - - Merged Post - - -

By the way, the yellow can Shell Diesel 15W40 worked wonderful on older generation Siena Diesel and my friends Palio 1.9D also.
  8. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Not sure if 10W is needed , couple of points ( Not sure if it was mentioned in long thread of engine oils )

1. When you go for thicker engine oil , so at cold start its harder for engine to start since crankshaft is partially submerged in oil .
    2. At low temperature range Oil should resist thickening and at high temperature range it should resist thinning

Now i would really trust manufacturer to know their engine , if Fiat recommends 5W than its better to stick with 5W oils.
    1 person likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Soot carrying / cleaning capacity and external climate and daily running conditions matter equally when choosing an oil. A CI4 oil better suited for todays egr and fuel with low sulphur is sufficient enough a spec grade along with special additives for engine protection by major oil manufacturers like Shell or Mobil.

If I am living in Himalayas I better not be using a 10w oil. In Mumbai, it hardly matters. W stands for winter which is never too harsh here to degrade oil performance.

:p heartsent for our mutual benefit .. !
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    10W is more efficient than 5W for initial start-up of the engine.