1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    0W40 can be an overkill unless the temperatures are in freezing zone. What are the winter temperatures in Siliguri are they extremes or does it snow? 5W40 too is more than what is necessary for climatic conditions in most parts of India. But since a 5W40 is mentioned by the book, please don't overspend on extreme oils. Rest is your choice.
    1 person likes this.
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    If mineral oil can also do the job then I would safely go for Fiat OEM oil.No need to spend heavy on synthetic oils
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I am amazed at the reduced NV levels of a mineral oil on an MJD engine. Very recently a slow oil seal leak at the engine bottom forced me to buy a whole 4ltr can of mineral oil for temporary use till oil leak could be fixed, and the effect on the MJD was nice. The engine produced a sweet hum compared to the leaked Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. The vibrations were also reduced to quite an extent. I am going to use it for some more interval before switching back to FS or maybe even Semi-Synthetics.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i still regret of using 5w 40.
    15w 40 was good for me and good to pocket as well.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Right mate I see your point. Gurjinder has mentioned before in this thread about Shell Rimula 10w40 oil, lets post here as soon as we get that. For humid and warm climate places like Mumbai I seriously doubt if 5W40 is the best way to go. But again, FS oils also last longer and are a must for FASS warranty.
    1 person likes this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Well unless you don't get the oil change from fiat you will lose warranty.
    So any oil outside of fiat can be used at ones discretion.
    All that our great fiat folks do is to verify is the service is done on P1Ap paper. Thats all

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  7. While searching for engine oil in 99rpm site. i came through this mobil super 5w40 engine oil which meets all specification of FIAT 9.55535.N2 and API CF :). Have any one used this engine oil. They have mentioned it recommended by maruti suzuki for their vehicles . Is this engine oil used for maruti cars. Has it meets the spec of fiat , i m planning to opt this engine oil. Is it worth of using it and does last 15000kms oil change interval??:confused:
    Will 3.5lt be enough or i should get 5lts as precaution stock.
    mobil_.jpg
    mobil_super_mgdo_5w40_3.5l.jpg
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Changed oil to Shell HX7 10W40. 1200 for 3.5 litres. Plan to keep using this and changing every 5k km's.

Cheers.
  9. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    On Palio or Linea ?
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    As you mentioned earlier, if warranty is your prime concern then please stick to FASS specified selenia semi synth.

The picture you have mentioned is of Fully Synthetic diesel oil. It looks good. And you will need about 3.2l for our 1.3 mjd. It is good for upto 15,000 kms. But some people change it earlier depending on their running conditions.

Buy more if you have very long running in remote areas. Maybe you can top up a bit if oil levels drop. But that will also mean the engine needs attention to fix leaks if any.

:p heartsent for our mutual benefit .. !
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014