1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. If you are using synthetic oil and oil filter lasts as long as 15 K kms.I used to do 20K drain interval in my all previous cars including good old M800 (carburetor) Mobil 1 super syn.Car used to be more happy than Maruti's stock oil.

If you have already run the car with mineral oil for long, better persist with it only,I have read about issue of synthetic oil level going down on it's own in cars with huge mileage on the ODO.

Disclaimer: You are at your own risk if you follow this method.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The proverb to each his own applies perfectly regarding selection of Oil brands, grade and change intervals as well.

It's true that wiki is not the final word, and things are not as black and white as they should be for our car owners' benefit. There is this grey area, a simple testimony of which is this thread on Engine Oil change which will run with Q&A and discussions for as long as this forum is there. Good for us!

Why wiki?
    Wiki has a very good content curating system, it hints at the trends and provides relevant and updated information time and again and is an always evolving website, which allows for a relatively fair system of information dissemination (most importantly at your own will, should you choose to). It would be rather healthy to discuss (at our will of course) what it presents to it's readers rather than disregard it as if it's a farce IMHO.

Change at 5k or 10k or 20k as Satchitananda says or go as far as 31k or 48k intervals as mentioned in the article, do it at your own risk, as he mentions clearly. And risky it is, no doubt !
    Very much like redlining the engine and living another day to boast about how it didn't cave and how the car and it's driver (self) held it's own..:grin:

Might I also say that more important than degraded oil or oil grade or change intervals, is detecting oil levels and leaks, cleaning oil sumps and replacing oil filters and air filters and each should assume equal or more focus case to case if you will, amongst things like choosing good oil and changing at xyz intervals.

For example we lost our '89 model Omni Van (engine) to an oil leak, which somehow went unattended for multiple reasons (that dont matter now), after 13 long years of near perfect servicing and schedules thereof. There was never a hint of performance drop nor a drop of extra oil it ever needed to be topped over before that catastrophe happened one fine day and the engine seized. Rebuilt was done but it all came down to selling the car for once ! :sad1
    We never ever checked the grade or brand the SC used for our car ever.

Eager for your replies, with Kushwant Singh's famous...With malice to one and all..:evilsmile
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After using shell helix hx7 15w 40 for 7k kms decided to change with shell helix ultra 5w 40. Lets see in terms of vibration noise review soon.

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 :- 3600 inr for 4 L Can.
    3u9aze7u.jpg

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I am using Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 engine oil for the past 2000 kms, I did not find any reduction in noise compared to Selenia used previously by FASS. The Delvac 1 ESP seems a better choice than this one as far as vibrations are concerned. Not that it is a bad oil, it would be unfair to label it as such, but delvac 1 would have been a better choice.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No reduction in noise nor vibration.Remains same.

15w 40
    uhu6aseh.jpg

5w 40
    y4ete6ys.jpg

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

1 person likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Don't know if I should feel happy or sad with your findings, but I must admit, I would be worried for our MJD if your findings would indicate otherwise. Thanks for the extra efforts of measuring and posting some data. That's truth enough for any skeptics, I hope..:wink:!
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  8. Ganges did you measure the sound lwvels after engine has warmed up?
  9. keshav

keshav

Bangalore
    I switched over to Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 from Selenia recently. I agree with your observations. No change in engine sound or vibrations.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yeah Sat,
    Had 25Kms of drive.
    i should have used 15w 40 :(