1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Thanks for clearing the doubt. Today morning, I was at the Shell petrol station where I saw Shell Rimula R4 sold for 302 per litre. The spec says that its CI-4, E5/E7. I guess it should be a mineral oil.

If I follow the 8k service interval, then going for Rimula R4 would save a lot of cost right?

Because its a mineral oil, will it damage the engine? Or will it increase the wear and tear compared to a fully synthetic oil like Delvac 5W40?
  2. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Linea 1.3
    Last week I changed to Delvac 1. Ramkay was not willing to get this done at their premises; so went to Murugan's workshop and had this changed. Much better is the grunt now, more smoother is the pickup as well.
  3. What is the problem with the dealers if the SAI specs are matching?
    Why they want us to run our cars on lower quality lubricant?
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Minerals oils too provide very good lubrication and engine protection and are tried and tested for decades now. Synthetic oils don't provide much benefit in a place like Chennai which never see 10 C or lower temp. Reduce the drain interval to half of 15k and you can't go wrong with any mineral oil even a API CF rated one. Maruti used IOC Servo 15W-40 CF rated oil before the new facelifted Swift came and Hyundai still uses IOC Servo.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    In all we have two FIAT Authorized service centers,
    1. Pandit Bavdhan
    2. SKY moto Aakurdi.

But, somehow I prefer Pandit over SKY, dont ask me for a reason. Because i don't have any!!!;)
    Hope this helps
    1 person likes this.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

The dealers would run into problems during audits. Since FIAT has tied up with Petronas, each car that comes for a service should be billed Petronas Selenia lube, atleast while the car is under manufacturer warranty.

If car is out of warranty, I guess FASS has no business to reject Mobil 1 oil.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Shell Rimula is a very good oil. I'm using R3X 15W40 in the Palio D and in the Bullet. All good. I hope they launch the Rimula R6 10W40 in India as well. That would be perfect for the Multijet and be priced at around 300-350/litre, hopefully.

There is more than one school of thought in the 5W40 vs 15W40/10W40 debate : Some say 15W40 works just well and infact the Multijet was designed to use 15W40 from the very beginning. Some say the Multijet will eat itself if anything apart from 5W40 is used. Take your pick as you feel comfortable.

Since the viscosity grade when hot will be 40W for both the oils, I'm not too worried about using 15w40 or 5w40. Nor are the winters, even here in Punjab, so severe to demand a 5 weight oil. On another note, the Multijet runs pretty tight main bearing clearances so anything above 40W can potentially harm the engine in the long run.

1 person likes this.
  8. chandu.paladugu

chandu.paladugu Timido

Hi all,
    How is valvoline 5W40 Synpower oil..

any one used it? today while searching for engile oil in bangalore, dealer came with valvoline which he quoterd 2600 for 4 liters.

requesting suggestions.

9. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    1 person likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Best Oil recommendation for Siena TD

Thanks Gurjinder, your evaluation of engine oils' brands and reasoning is pretty much spot on. I have found your engine oil recommendations and reasoning very compelling and above average. A slight addition if I may with regards cold temperature characteristics (5w or 15w) is that there might be some really special additives or formulation techniques involved to see that the oil characteristics too remain in more tight tolerances between change intervals. The question that follows is does it justify the additional costs? Probably not as per Indian cold conditions. But again since engine is the most important part of the car, if not the only important part, I still think shelling out more on the best possible iteration/s of oil is the best recourse in the long run for any car.

Please suggest some semi synth oils, brands and alternatives for my oldy, rusty Siena 1.7TD too. The engine has recently completed 1lac kms and the car will probably stay with me forever, atleast that's the hope! :p

I read previously about your Palio D's strict oil change interval and how it would keep the engine and parts thereof troublefree. What is your take on Siena Turbo Diesel given that it is a generation or two older to the palio D engine techwise.