1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

The Pulsars and Apaches used to leak oil when 300V was used. But it was a great oil, I too have used it in my motorcycle. It is fluorescent green in color and smells of chewing gum. :D

The refinement levels were unmatched when 300V was used. I believe 'theblack' is using Motul oil in his Punto MJD currently. We can ask his feedback.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Wow, really? What could be the reason. New bikes or old? And was the 300V (15W50?) the recommended viscosity for these bikes?

Interesting and puzzling phenomena.

P.S. I'll move these posts to OT after the discussion.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I have an Apache which has done well over 1.25 lakh kms and have been using sythetic the moment bike completed 10K kms. Absolutely no issues with oil leakage except for once, when the O ring for dip stick went busted. Have used the below listed oils

1. Motul 300V - 15W-50 FS
    2. OWS - 5W-50 FS - The best one till date. Now, i guess this is replaced with 5W-60
    3. Shell Helix - 10W -40
    4. Valvoline - Forgot the grade

Currently running on Shell Helix 10W-40. All my longer rides are endurance with the bike running at high rpm for most of the distances.
    1 person likes this.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Yes, buddy. I was paranoid because of this very reason and held back for quite a while, but then eventually took the plunge. Not even 1k kms, and like all others had reported on xBHP, the head was leaking, and oil traces were seen wherever a oil seal was present. I have come across multiple incidents like these on xBHP too.

So, finally when i switched back to other brands, the leak was no more. The leak doesn't happen with all synths per se, but with 300V FL, it happened. It was a great lube, used to make the Pulsars feel as refined as a Uni with atleast the VH of the NVH. :)
  5. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Even I am Using Motul 300V For My Hero honda Hunk ,simply Awesome. I Would Never Go Back to mineral or semi-synthetic.
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

The reason probably was the Esters which acted as cleaning agents,and cleaned the engine internals of all the carbon,which lead to oil seals giving up soon,so can be a case of poor quality oil seals as well,as i have used it for like 70K kms on my Karizma without any leakage problems,and it was an amazing oil.Recommended grade was 20W40 for the Karizma.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I ordered a 4L can of Mobil 1 0W40 and some other stuff from 99RPM, yesterday and paid using netbanking. I got an email from Pankaj late last night

and was asked to pay an additional Rs. 544. Cursed my luck and did that. Now waiting for delivery. This weekend - Service weekend :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Any strong reason ?
    Bangalore isnt hot ? :D
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    FIAT recommends 5W40. Closest match available with 99rpm in Mobil1 was 0W40. I wanted to go fully synthetic :D

Rajan
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013