1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Thanx Rajan Got Your Point and Cleared My Doubt
  2. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    Engine Oil with ACEA Ex or API CI ratings

While searching about the engine oils from the internet, I am able to get the following list. The list contains both 5W40 and 15W40, As Rajan pointed out in the earlier posts, I learnt that even 15W40 is enough for cold start.

• Shell Helix Ultra - 5W40, ACEA A3/B3/B4, API SN/CF
    • Helix H7, 10W40, ACEA A3/B3/B4, API SN/CF,
    • Helix Diesel HX6, 15W40, ACEA B3/B4, API CH4,
    • Valvoline All Fleet Gold, API CI-4/SL, ACEA E5, This is a mineral oil I guess...
    • Mobil Delvac 1™ 5W-40, API CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/SL/SJ, ACEA E7/E4
    • Shell Rimula R4, 15W-40, API CI-4, ACEA E7, E5,
    • Castrol Egge Titanium - 5W40, ACEA A3/B3, A4/B4, API SN/CF, Fiat 9.55535-S2
    • Servo Pride Super, 15W40, ACEA E5
    • Castrol GTX Diesel, 15W40, API CI-4
    • Elf Performance Victory, 15W-40, API CI-4
    To finalize one can I shortlist based on the ACEA and API ratings to see which one is best along with their respective cost?

Another doubt is that there are mineral oils as well in the above list (I guess Valvoline All Fleet Gold). Yet they are rated E7/E4. Does that mean that they are better than a fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra?

Or in another way, can we say that whether Mineral or Synthetic doesnt matter, what matters is the Specs like ACEA and API??

Please help to clear the doubts...
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Great compilation effort :)

FIAT specifies 5W40, so use an oil which conforms to that specification. All 5W40's in the market are synthetic / semi synthetic. So a mineral is out of the question in this viscosity range.

Just get the Delvac1 and use it for anywhere between 10,000-15,000km's depending on your usage patterns.

Personally, I'm a believer of frequent oil changes than using super expensive synthetics. I just might go for mineral 15W40 the next time around. Remember, using 15W40 is against FIAT's recommendations, so don't try this at home :)

Cheers.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    my punto is running on this HX7,so far no problems,tommorow im going to do a 500Kms trip,let me comment after.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Mineral or Synthetic - When first filled, perform almost the same. There are fully synthetic advocates, who will start loading their guns, reading that statement. The initial feeling of super smooth engine with synthetic is more psychological than actual. True there will be improvement in the engine smoothness with synthetic, but not so much as to feel a world of difference.

The problem with oil is, it is thick when it is cold and gets thinner as it gets hot. But the automotive engine expects just the opposite. At low temperatures, it expects oil to be thinner so that it flows readily and won’t thicken too much or become a gel (like coconut oil in winter) in extremely cold weather, reducing protection and making the engine hard to start. Yet at high temperatures it expects the oil must be thick enough to maintain a critical film to prevent metal-to-metal contact. The ideal oil viscosity must strike a balance between low temperature flow and high temperature protection.

This is where the additives come in and we have a multi-viscosity oil. Our FIAT recommended 5W40 behaves like a 5-weight oil in cold temperature and a 40-weight oil in operating temperatures. Coming back to synthetics, where they truly shine is in their capability to retain this behaviour for a much longer time than mineral oils. Therefore it is imperative to use FIAT recommended oil, if one is going to maintain FIAT's service interval. However, if one is going to take the route suggested by Gurjinder (of course, outside one's home :D), then one needs to change oil more often - say every 5,000 kms, to keep the engine performing better.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Synthetic oil requires top up than semi synthetic oil ? I mean engine eats synthetic oil more than semi synthetic due to the running temp inside.
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    No, not at all. The selling point of synthetic oils is their ability to endure more "torture" inside the engine than normal mineral oils. It is allegedly said that the synthetic oil can provide much more protection in extreme conditions where the normal oil would just turn to colored water.

Engine eating up oil is a mechanical issue. Healthy engines don't consume oil if given oil of proper viscosity. Atleast not in our budget segment. Can't say what happens in the ultra high revving Porsche's or Ferrari's (9000 rpm limiters).

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Anyone used Motul 300v trophy 0w40? Any feedback / reviews?

Rajan
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

300V for 4 wheelers?
    i have used 300V Factory Line and Other i think was racing.
    And was very happy with it for my ex motorcycle.
    300V FL was treated with Esters,and its smell was pretty good:-D
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    It's a racing oil, so use with caution. Racing oils contain additives which can destroy that expensive Catalytic converter pretty fast. Mobil 1 0W50 racing explicitly carries the condition that it is not to be used in road cars with cat-cons.

Now, if you were to de-cat your Jet.........