1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

It is Mobil 1 and Mobil Delvac1
    Mobil 1 is for gasoline engines,Delvac 1 is for diesel engines,so go for Delvac 1.
    Maruti has Mobil Super 5W40,its ratings arent similar to Delvac 1.
  2. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Mobil 1™ 5W-50 EXCELLENT WEAR PROTECTION
    Mobil 1 5W-50 is a 100% advanced fully synthetic engine oil that provides outstanding protection, even during extended-use driving.

• Outstanding engine cleanliness and wear protection
    • Helps keep your engine running like new
    • Exceptional high temperature protection
    • Improved protection against sludge and harmful deposits
    • Suitable for older and new vehicles
    • Now available in SN

Meets the requirements of API SN/SM, ACEA A3/B3 & A3/B4 and Lexus LFA Service Fill. Approved: BMW High Performance Diesel Oil, MB 229.3/229.1, Porsche A40 and VW 505 00/501 01. Recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring API CF.

Refer to your vehicle service manual for correct lubricant requirement and service intervals. Search the database for the latest product data sheet you need here.

10W50_img.jpg

See The Red Font Mentioned For Diesel
    Are You Sure i should go For Devlac 1 5W 40
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    We aren't driving BMW High performance diesels namely 335d/535d/640d/550d, are we? ;)

Cheers.
  4. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Lol We Are Drving Fiat India's Most Powerful Diesel Car
  5. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    LOL, Fiat India has only two diesel cars, and both of them have the same engine. Also, it's not very powerful.

On a serious note, 5w-50 is generally recommended as oil for race / rally cars which see extreme conditions. The oil has a higher temp. rating of 50 deg. C which translates to better performance in extremely hot areas or highly demanding performance conditions.

Petronas have a FS oil called Syntium which is of this grade. It's also significantly more expensive than Selenia FS.
  6. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    I have Mentioned Fiat India's Most Powerful Diesel Car ....I have Not Mentioned Italy or Germany
    Anyways
    Gurjinder
    How Much Oil Required for our engines...?

- - - Merged Post - - -

I have Mentioned Fiat India's Most Powerful Diesel Car ....I have Not Mentioned Italy or Germany
    Anyways
    Gurjinder
    How Much Oil Required for our engines...?
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Moksh,

When you ask a question here, you are bound to get multiple opinions / responses. That is the nature of any internet forum. The capacities are mentioned in the owner's manual, and I am sure you have a copy of it. Let me know if you don't and I will give you a link to the soft copy, which you can download. Here is the relevant page:

Engine Oil.JPG

I have highlighted your car.

The 5 in 5W40 or 5W50 does not indicate temperature. Neither does the 40 or 50. They both indicate viscosity. The first number (5W) tells you what the oil will be like when you start the car on a typical spring day.

The second number (-xx) tells you something about the viscosity of the oil as you drive down the highway. Since all auto mobiles are operated at a controlled temperature (water thermostat) the oil ends up rather near 100 C viscosity number when the vehicle is used in a low power condition (like cruising down the highway). This happens both winter and summer with only a few degrees different in the actual oil temperature.

So for actual long term operating conditions (e.g. after warm up), only the last number is relevant. For start-up conditions (e.g first 15 minutes) only the first number is relevant. In real world conditions, 5W40 or 5W50 does not make any difference. The 50 comes into play only in extreme conditions, like say a race track.

To summarize - yes you can go with 5W50, spend 200*4 Rs 800 more and benefit nothing, or go with 5W40, save Rs. 800 and buy yourself some beer. Choice is yours buddy.

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Thanks for correcting Rajan. Somehow I got these two parameters mixed up in my head.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if thats the case then,10W-40 should also be in the race.For first 10 mins of engine start-up 10W 40 is good.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    True. Even 15W40 is good enough and 20W40 is sufficient for the south, where we do not see cold winters. Problem is finding these in fully synthetic. If one is OK with SS or Mineral, then these can certainly be used.

More reading to understand Engine Oils

Rajan
    2 people like this.