1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Sujith,i was little late to check with tfi i already bought HX7,my next change will be rimula :D.
    which rating is important here API or ACEA ?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4

uploadfromtaptalk1376968829439.jpg
  2. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Okay, here is my query. Mine is a Petrol Linea. Recommended oil is Petronas Selenia K, which is a semi-synthetic oil. However, I have noticed that ther ASC charges an awful lot of money for an SS oil.

Anyway, I am nearly done with the attitude & (lack of) service at the ASC, so dropped the car for servicing today not at ASC but with Mahindra First Choice Services. They only had fully synthetic Petronas oil with them - Syntium - which costs 1100/- per litre. I told them not to change the oil.

I will change the oil separately. Also, as my running is about 5-6k km per year and since I don't redline my car ever, I don't want to splurge money on FS and would like to settle for SS. Which is the oil I should go for in that case - Castrol Magnatec is one choice, but then I am not very sure about the genuinity of Castrol (& Mobil) products here.

Any pointers would be most welcome. Also, what sort of price should I expect?
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Petronas Selenia K is fully synthetic. Petronas Selenia WR, meant for the MJD is SS.

Rajan
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Selenia K is a synthetic oil. Only the diesel engine Selenia WR is semi Synthetic. I am more unhappy with diesel engine oil being semi synth for the asking price.
  5. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    engine oil FS or SS will really only come into purview in the city . 5-6k/year is not the deciding factor but how much of it is in the city that counts a lot.
    Generally speaking oil's work is more demanding in the city than it is in the highway with all the constant acceleration / braking / changing gears and so on.
    Having said that 5-6K/ year is really not that big a deal in any case so you could choose to stay with OEM oil itself unless you want to move out of FASC permanently.

If you do wish to do so then just look at the grade and buy either SHELL/castorl/Mobil oils of that grade.
    Contrary to what you might think i would suggest you stay with FS oils only because since your mileage is very very low there is a good amount of time your car spends sitting idle , so it might not be a good idea to use mineral oil (which might degenerate faster than FS).
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    [TABLE="class: cms_table"]

Fully Synthetic
    Characteristics

[TD="bgcolor: #d7dbde"]0W-30
    0W-40
    5W-40[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #d7dbde"]Fuel economy savings
    Enhances engine performance and power
    Ensures engine is protected from wear and deposit build-up
    Ensures good cold starting and quick circulation in freezing temperatures
    Gets to moving parts of the engine quickly[/TD]

Semi-synthetic
    Characteristics

[TD="bgcolor: #99ccce"]5W-30
    10W-40
    15W-40[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #99ccce"]Better protection
    Good protection within the first 10 minutes after starting out
    Roughly three times better at reducing engine wear
    Increased oil change intervals - don't need to change it quite so often[/TD]

Mineral
    Characteristics

[TD="bgcolor: #5270ae"]10W-40
    15W-40
    [/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #5270ae"]Basic protection for a variety of engines
    Oil needs to be changed more often
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

theblack,
    +1
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Both are semi-synth.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the correction Gurjinder. I was going by what the user manual was saying, but looks like the manual is a bit misguiding, by smartly saying "Synthetic" and omitting the prefix "fully" or "semi" :D

WP_000444.jpg

Rajan
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Marketing speak at it's finest :mrgreen:

Selenia K / WR Pure Energy are fully synthetic oils. They are used in the European market.
    1 person likes this.