1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Is there any W50 grade Fully Synthetic oil for Diesels?
    i used to fill 5W50 Mobil1 in my Petrol car.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The oil specifications for the Multijet are so loose that i feel you can run the petrol 5W50 if you want. Having said that if you are not burning off the 40 weight oil due to hard use, there is no real need to use a 50 weight.

What were the tech specs of the 5-50 you were using.
  3. I vote for #1
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

This is the one i was using
    5W50 Mobil1
    Mobil 1™ 5W-50

It says suitable for diesel engines without diesel particulate filter.
    My concern is the ambient temperature these days which is usually hovering around 45.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I hope you are not taking the 40 to mean 40 degree Celsius. It is not that way.

5,40 are viscosities of the oil and in no way denote the temperature range in which it can be used. The only criteria to change to a heavier oil us if your usage is so hard that you are burning off the 40 weight oil - which is not the case.

Rest assured, your engine is safe. Give it D1 if you want and give the engine absolute hell and it won't complain in the 45-46 heat that we are seeing these days. As long as the engine and cooling system is healthy, there is nothing to worry.

1 person likes this.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Use 40 weight oil as specified by Fiat. Dont go for 50 weight oil. Given the close tolerances and precise hydraulic lifters i would say stick to 40 weight oil only.

Best oil i have ever used is Mobil 1 Delvac, surpasses all the requirements of modern turbo charged engine with EGR.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Please let me know about good brands for lubes. The car is due on lube changes shortly and in about 500-1000kms i'm planning to change all lubes.
    Here is the list i've created please let me know if i've missed anything or should i change any brands.

Engine Oil = MD -1 (Already bought)
    Gearbox Oil = Shell Spirax S2 G4 (anything better?)
    Coolant = Selenia (But i desperately want to change , please advice)
    Power steering Oil = ??
    Grease = ??
    brake Fluid = think its DOT 4 but which one?

Anything else I've missed.
    Please advice ASAP
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  8. Aviator

Aviator Amatore

Delhi / Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    How much does fiat charge including labor if any for oil change only. My friend has done 6000 KM on his 90 HP Punto MJD and he wants to stick to Selenia. Please note this job will be done separately, its not the part of service.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Probably similar to what they will charge for oil filter replacement.
    I recently checked for labour for fuel filter replacement,and i was quoted 150 bucks,going by this figure,it should not be much.
  10. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    Aviator / Akshay, @Vecto Motors, Bangalore they charge 2k+ for oil change + Oil filer that needs to be changed as well which is 400+. so that total shouldn't cross 2.5K.