1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. you can use 5W-50
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    5w50 would be too thick for the modern day engine.Effiency might marginally go down which might or not be noticeable. Stick to the manufacturer approved grade irrespective of brands.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Is this the Palio Stile 1.6?

Check your manual for the exact grade. The Linea and Punto 1.4 petrols use 5W40. Not sure what the 1.6 uses.
  4. mkpiyengar

mkpiyengar

Hi,
    Mine is a Fiat Siena 1.6 ELX 100/16v 2002 Model. I primarily use it as my weekend car. Though the running is not much it has been more than 6 months since oil change. I just changed my air filter last week but did not get time to change oil/oil filter as it was night.

Before doing it this weekend i wanted to confirm. I know it was Selenia before but wanted to change to Mobil-1, hence this query

Thanks,
    MKP
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Best to stick to what the Owner's Manual states when it comes to choosing the correct viscosity.

If the Selenia ran fine in your engine and didn't get consumed, then i reckon you would be fine with any 5w40 oil. The viscosity is more important than the brand.

And don't worry if it's been 6-8 months since the last change and you've driven rarely. An year or so is perfectly fine. My Enfield is approaching 2 years on the same oil (!) , but driven only 600km's. But the oil was high quality Motul.
  6. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Will the same viscosity with other brand necessarily have similar consumption or can a Fully synthetic, good quality oil of same viscosity have lower consumption?

I'm asking this because, TASS states that 500ml selenia oil consumption every 5000km is perfectly normal in my car.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even manual says similar thing.
  8. mkpiyengar

mkpiyengar

Thanks gurjinder,

Actually, i recollect the conversation with my mechanic because I asked if Castrol Magnetec is good for which he said for FIAT engines selenia is best.

For diesel mostly it is 5W40, for petrol i do not recollect the viscosity correctly.
    I'm planning to go for Mobil but not synthetic mineral oil. Not sure if Mobil indeed has one. Not listed in their site.

Where can i buy Selenia in Mumbai ?
    Thanks
    MKP
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    Two things here:

If the engine is the cause of consumption of oil, then you can put in pretty much any oil of the same viscosity and it will eat it up. This is down to the tolerances and how the engine was run in by the owner. This statement is a hornet's nest and i don't wanna stir it up! If , say, it was a poor quality oil which is getting burnt in a perfectly healthy engine, then changing to a different but better brand of the recommended viscosity will surely help.

In the case of the above member with the 1.6 engine, i was wary that the old engine might not like the 5W40 oil as the 2002 engine might not have been designed for an oil with such a low cold-viscosity. In that engine i wouldn't think twice running a mineral 15W40 or even 20W50 in the summers. Plenty of petrol engines of that era ran these oils. And they ran great. The modern 10W30 etc oils, especially for petrols, are there MORE for promoting economy (fuel efficiency) than outright engine protection. It's a huge debate.

About the consumption mentioned in the manual, my personal take has always been that it is a manufacturer fail safe thing. They know a small fraction of their engines might consume some oil , owing to a fantastic number of variables, so they just put in a small harmless looking statement in the Manual that some consumption is okay. This is the case with many manufacturers. Because oil consumption in our economy engines , that too in 2012, makes no sense.
    1 person likes this.
  10. mkpiyengar

mkpiyengar

As per the owner's manual the oil specs for FIAT 1.6 16v 2002 engine is 15W40 and recommended manufacturer is VS-MAX. Donno if they are available here.
    Quote from Owner's Manual
    Lubricants for Petrol engines
    SAE 15W40 grade mineral multigrade oil that exceeds the API SG and CCMC G4 specifications"