1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. joinakhil

joinakhil

New Delhi
    I have to get the oil changed for my Punto (43K Kms done) and wanted to go for something better than the regular Selenium. After reading the forum, I assume that Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 grade is the best one for Punto MJD and people using it are happy with it. But, I couldn't find anyone who has done 15-20K Kms with that oil in the engine. Long term usage reviews would be helpful.

Any idea where can I buy Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 in Delhi (preferably east delhi)? I tried contacting many dealers but none of them have it.
  2. Anyone tried Wruth, a 5 ltr fully synthetic can is available for 4000 rs here
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Yup heard about Wurth!! It's german.Can give it a try..heard it's not bad.
  4. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    I have a petrol model not a diesel one. Hence I am getting the Shell helix Ultra. Also the oil change interval will be significantly lesser.

BTW, Ferrari uses Shell to power their engines :)
  5. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @harish

Why dont u try Castrol Edge? Many of us here are using the same with good results.

Offlate i have been reading some ferrari and alfa romeo forums in which the guys over there seem to hate Mobil1.After many days of reading i've concluded that its best to stay away from Mobil1.The case is Mobil1 gives performance but at a cost of high wear n tear of the engine with which im not comfortable.They had done some tests in which iron content was very high.So i switched to castrol edge.Dont want my engine's wear n tear to be on a higher rate at the cost of performance.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    My 2 cents..
    No matter how great the oil is and how many approved ratings are put on the sticker.. Its always safe to change the oil every 10K at least.
    The only advantage of going with Delvac 1(In terms of longevity) would be that in case you miss the 10K change, the oil is resilient enough to last another 2K at least... That's the logic.

PS:: My advice would be to keep a STRICT note of changing oil every 10K (If its selenia then I would change it more frequently , at 7-8K at least)
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I wonder how did you conclude by just reading,and not actually using it?
    Whats the use of a Fully Synthetic engine oil if it causes wear and tear?
    I used Mobil 1 FS 5W50 in my Previous petrol car,and after 7 years of use,it still ran like new.
    It is one of the best oils you can get.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    To be very very honest with you , I really cannot see any noticeable difference after using Mobil 1 in terms of performance...
    There is only marginal improvement and sometimes even that feeling can be attributed to just the psychology since there is something new in the car , any change will invariably be attributed to that.

What Is the Purpose of Motor Oil? | eHow.com
    Should give you an idea of what to expect from engine oils.. Its not performance that one expects from oil but better lubrication that's all..
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    We cannot extrapolate what happens in a Ferrari engine compared to a economy engine like the Multijet!

Many car manufacturers have very strict oil recommendations and many even have unique oil formulations like BMW, VW etc. If you run anything else, you're asking for trouble. And many VW owners found that out the hard way. Google volkswagen premature cam wear etc.

Compared to that, the specifications by FIAT for the Multijet are really, really simple and outdated as well. Any modern oil easily surpasses those recommendations. It's a no brainer.

Mobil Delvac 1 is definitely the oil to beat when it comes to diesel oils.

The FIRE/T-Jet engine should be no different either. Realistically speaking, the entire range of FIAT engines in India are nothing but under-stressed economy engines. And that makes perfect sense seeing which segment they are in.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  10. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    First of all I was in search for Shell's Lubricant in Mumbai/Thane & after a long 7 months search the result finally paid off. The Person who sells shell's oil & lubricant is the distributor for Shell & he was ready to offer the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 for Rs.4000/- against the MRP of Rs.4,400/- for one 4 litre pack. He said he was ready to offer a higher discount if I take the full carton(which had Four 4litre cans).

One of my friend was also looking out for the Shell Helix Ultra for his Maruti Esteem. Finally he & one other friend who drives a Wagon R also agreed to get the oil.

I had total of 3 people ready to get the engine oil. I fixed the date on which I was going to take the delivery of the oil & the distributor offered the 3 cans for a price of Rs.3,600/- :eek: which as per me is a pretty sweet deal. I also got Shell Advance Ultra(for my new LML NV LS) & Shell Advance AX5(for Activa)

Total Price I paid from my pocket
    Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 Rs. 3,600/-
    Shell Advance Ultra 10w-40 Rs. 720/-
    Shell Advance AX5 20w-40 Rs. 240/-

Total Rs. 4550/-( actually he reduced Rs.10/- too)

Pics attached for reference
    CIMG0083.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012