1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Closing the EGR does not have much impact on the emission as well..
    I just got my test results and the emission has passed in flying colors... ;)
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Do you believe in emission tests in INDIA?

EGR blocking has detrimental effects on environment. Your car will pollute more than it does with EGR.

NOX and Carbon monoxide levels rise up immediately by blocking EGR.
  3. Italia-Linea, this is from wikipedia.

By feeding the lower oxygen exhaust gas into the intake, diesel EGR systems lower combustion temperature, reducing emissions of NOx. This makes combustion less efficient, compromising economy and power. The normally "dry" intake system of a diesel engine is now subject to fouling from soot, unburned fuel and oil in the EGR bleed, which has little effect on airflow but can cause problems with components such as swirl flaps, where fitted. Diesel EGR also increases soot production, though this was masked in the US by the simultaneous introduction of diesel particulate filters.[6] EGR systems can also add abrasive contaminants and increase engine oil acidity, which in turn can reduce engine longevity.[7]

Though engine manufacturers have refused to release details of the effect of EGR on fuel economy, the EPA regulations of 2002 that led to the introduction of cooled EGR were associated with a 3% drop in engine efficiency, bucking a trend of a .5% a year increase.[8]
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Yes very true. I am not at all denying the detrimental effect of EGR on the engine. What i am saying is EGR helps in lowering NOX and CO. Without EGR there will be more harmfull emmissions.

Economy is hampered, performance is hampered, soot build up takes place all agreed. Thats why no one needs EGR, but for the sake of environment EGR systems are introduced.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Quote from here : Selenia K Pure Energy is the new fully synthetic lubricant for new petrol engines. With its low ash content it passes the new ACEA C3 specification and offers total protection of the catalyst, thereby lengthening its life cycle.

My understanding is - Selenia K is for Petrol Engines and is fully synthetic. Selenia WR is for diesel engines and is semi-synthetic.

Experts - please clarify.

Rajan
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Yes Selenia WR is semi synthetic.
  7. Italia-Linea,

I got the emission test done at proper place, i was expecting more CO but to my surprise it was no different than what it before EGR deletion.
    With EGR FE will low so one would use more fuel for the same distance covered and creating the pollution,I don't see black smoke even in harder acceleration so there is not much soot that is being produced now. another thing that i observed is i don't see oil turning total black color like earlier but can't compare it to petrol either.
  8. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Yes the diesel engine oil can never be compared to petrol. Diesel engine oils have detergents mixed in them. The diesel engine produces more carbon and the detergent in the oil keeps washing the carbon.

What were the values of CO before EGR and after deleting the EGR. Also EGR duty varies from 2% to 60% depending on various conditions. So while you took the test its not sure howmuch the EGR duty cycle was. You need to hook ECU scanner to check the EGR duty cycle at given instance.

Well EGR delete will definitely help in engine health. But automobile engineers introduced it for only one reason. Reduce the emmissions. So if we delete the EGR the purpose is not met.
  9. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    Anybody(one person) from Mulund/ Bhandup/Thane area interested in sharing a carton of Shell Helix ultra

I am getting it for Rs.3500/- for 4 litre can

I already have 3 people interested. Alli need is one person more.

PM me latest by 8th of november

Sent from my M758A using Tapatalk 2
  10. It is on expensive side for what helix offers like API and ACEA specs are almost same as castrol EDGE or Selnia WR,for the same price Delvac 1(5 lts) is much superior in terms of specs and quality. I don't think Castrol EDGE or helix match up to Delvac 1
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012