1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Thanks will try to get it done this weekend

The oil change is only being done because the oil is more than a year old (even though my ownership is less than half a year)
  2. It was same for me too just about 10% change in NVH initially,but after EGR was disabled engine became smooth.
    EGR will send abrasive corbon back to cylinders making it little rough.
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Using fully synthetic oils in modern day engines may have little perceptible differences to be noticed.It's just these FS provide better cold starts than SS and mineral oils and the engine may get smooth and offcourse the drain interval extends to a bit.Guys dont stretch your drain intervals to 10-15k.It's not good for the engine,looking at the conditions in which our cars run b2b traffic.Decide the drain interval on basis of the condition of the oil.Petrol engines (b2b traffic) oil change should be at 7k and for diesels it should 7-8k depending on the condition of the oil.

SELENIA IS A SEMI-SYNTHETIC OIL.
  4. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi!,
    Is there a problem if the selenia oil gets mixed with either castrol edge or any other oil. I plan to change the oil alternatively with selenia@ A.S.S & outside with EDGE.

Kiran
  5. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Me too have done the same. i.e. TASS filled in SELENIA after running for around a while I drained SELENIA (actually the reason for change in oil in short time is due to fact that engine oil is brought in a loose can and I can not verify the grade of the oil that was put in my vehicle) and put in CASTROL EDGE in the process this DIY thread.

But, many of the fellow members suggested to change the engine oil filter as well. I decided to change the engine oil filter whenever I change the engine oil.

Now my vehicle is just short of 2,000 kms from third schedule service, this time TASS fills SELENIA, after doing around 7,500 Kms(this time I decided to ask the TASS guy to show me the grade oil that is put into my vehicle) I will change the engine oil and engine oil filter as well.

I feel that as long as engine oil is completely drained and put new oil then there will be no problem. But, it is not recommended to top up with a different engine oil.

So, before putting in CASTROL EDGE drain the selenia completely and also change the engine oil filter also.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. hi.. i own 1.2 fire GP equipped with sequential CNG kit. I read in this thread about engine oil drain interval should be lowered to 7k-8k kms as selenia is a semi-synthetic oil. My question is, since i am running my car on CNG and i doesnt soil the oil can i stretch the engine oil drain interval to 15k kms for selenia (as per owner's manual) ??
  7. Is it OK to use 2 year old left over Selenia l while I am taking my car to the next service (it is the first paid or the 4th service) this month?
    Basically I have 2 nos of half full 1 ltr cans of Selenia. One has mfg date as 2010 Nov and the other has 2011 June, these were used during those earlier free services. Alas! I forgot to take the older one during the last service! So both these are still there safe in a corner shelf, with cap tightly closed ever since. I read that shelf life is quite possibly 4-5 years and so can be safely used. Please suggest?
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Now days TASS using barrel instead of sealed cans. So they charge for exact amount used. Drawback is if we require top up either we have to take the vehicle to TASS or buy a 1L can. Though the smoothness is not not noticeable between SS and FS oil the engine will definitely get benefited on long run.Also mixing of two grade oil is not advisable.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Can you please shed some more light about disabling the EGR?
    I have seen people disable Pulse air valves in bikes,especially Royal Enfields.
    Btw,disabling the EGR would mean more black smoke,isnt it?
  10. You will have to disable it in the ECU,not to say it needs a experienced tuner to do so.
    i got it done by Siddarth of tune-o-tronics.