1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    There is nothing wrong with selenia but if you ask me just the high price that TASS is quoting me would make me look at other Better oils in the market.
    For far far less you can get better lubricants ... I honestly dont feel the need to go to TASS..
    The only thing that these TASS guys have in there arsenal is warranty. they are playing that card really well to loot customers.
    Please give this a thought
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    There are still 2000 kms/2.5 months left for the first service. For the second service there is still around 8-9 months left. Since TJets have been lying with dealers most of these have old oils. When I bought the car, I had requested dealer to change oil but he said it was not needed and I can do it later on

For the normal selenia TASS quoted around 2200. For Mobil1 he quoted Rs3800. Is this on the higher side?
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Selenia is a semi-synthetic oil.Ive stopped using it long back.Even during my warranty period i changed the oil outside along with the oil filter.Paid 200/- for the filter and 3100/- for the fully synthetic oil Castrol Edge.If you get the filter from TASS well and good,you can change your oil from outside and also would have wide variety of oils to choose from!!
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Get it changed. Your Jet will be happy.

When it's time for the yearly service , look around for a service centre which can officially put in an oil of your choice. Otherwise you put in an expensive fully synth oil today and 8 months down the line it'll be Selenia once again.

Cheers
  5. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Selenia is fully synthetic. No semi-synthetic oil can last 15000 km.
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Who says so?
    It is Semi Synthetic,and what makes you think Semi Synthetic oils cannot last 15000kms?
    Heck Mahindra's run on Mineral oil with a Change interval of 20000kms,and i know its a overkill(i Stick to 10K interval),but i have seen engines going strong after as much as 1.9L kms after sticking to manufacturer specifications.
  7. Check out the specs of Selnia WR

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

They need to use Castol TurboEdge Diesel, synthetic full, 5W-40, ACEA A3/B3/B4, API SL/CF ,not plain castrol EDGE.
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Selenia is Semi-Synthetic, I have confirmed this by mailing Petronas makers of Selenia directly.
    My car have run on Selenia till 60k kms with a oil change interval of 15k kms and other dose of Selenia at 60k service which was changed to Mobil Delvac 1 at 67k and now at 71k it feels same as Selenia no difference in smoothness, noise or anything else. So to me changing oil earlier is waste of money.
    Put in left over 2ltr Delvac 1 from 5 litre can and 1 litre Castrol Magnatec and Maruti 800 have really smoothened but no difference at all in Linea.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Though there may not be Visible\Audible differences after switching over to Delvac 1,but i am pretty sure,in the long run,a fully synthetic will fare better than SS and Mineral oils.I am talking of experiences with Mobil1 earlier and now Delvac1
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I've switched to Delvac 1 about 6000kms earlier , some differences I noticed include a more silent engine and slight bit more torque in 3rd gear in the initial RPMs...
    (My car is remapped so that could have also made the feel a bit more pronounced)

But here is my frank opinion on chainging oils.
    I recently asked a friend of mine to switch to delvac 1 as well and when i drove his car (punto '12) i did not find much difference anywhere.(His car is stock)
    I was really trying to concentrate but there was no visible difference . After a few hundred kms he told me yesterday that the engine seems to have become a tad more silent that's all but there has been no power increase or anything like that.
    This got me thinking and I read about a few things and realised that sometimes these kind of change will make a difference only if the engine is tuned for it.
    Every small nitty gritty component needs to be tuned to extract the best out of all the components...

Eg: there is a video (fifth gear) where they compare polo , subaru and some other car with high octane fuels and the visible increase was found only in cars that were tuned for that fuel.
    Bottom line -> its always better to change to full synthetic than SS. Even if you cant see a change the fact that these oils are rated higher than Selenia would definitely be good for our engines.