1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Ashpalio

Ashpalio Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi All,

My 2 bit experience with Mobil1 with my Palio has been outstanding. The drain period shifted from 7.5k to 20~25k. Reason being the Mobil1 drain interval is for Indian conditions around 30k. My car certainly has a good heart (1.2) and Mobil1 is keeping it young. My Punto is still on OEM, just finished 9k in 8months !!! However Palio gets a new Oil Filter every 10k. A Must.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @ Ashpalio. Don't beleive the word of seller. Drain Interval of 20-25 K is disastrous for engine due to surplus dust everywhere. I would sugest you to stick to recommended service intervals.
    30 K Drain Interval is not for Indian Conditions.
  3. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    I agree.
  4. obliex

obliex Amatore

Pune
    Till the car is in warranty I prefer recommended service intervals with recommended engine oils (in this case Selenia). Once past that 15000km mark you can move upto Mobile 1 or Shell Helix Ultra . Probably you know of it already but ,make sure you have the correct tolerance 20/40W etc and type (petrol/diesel engine oils).
  5. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Per suggestion for SC, I opted Mobil1 for my Petrol Active.

I could find that engine noise at low rpm has increased a bit but I find engine more smother on high rpm.
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For me the SA never even bothered to ask me before filling Mobil1 0 W40 which was not at all required under our driving conditions. End result a much inflated service bill of 5.5k for my 2nd service, 3.5 just for oil. I will insist on Selenia for my 3rd service. Why pay more for something which is not at all required.
  7. eldrid

eldrid Amatore

London, United Kingdom
    London, United Kingdom
    Grande Punto 1.4
    what happens if by accident the service center fills diesel engine oil Selina WR instead of Selina K in my petrol engine?? cauz i think this may have happened to me. any way besides higher detergent levels and higher anti wear additives is there any major difference? from what i learnt by googleing additives account for only 20% of the oil and 80% is the base stock. So if the viscosity index is the same i.e 5w-40 there shouldn't be much difference right? besides not like detergents are corrosive
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Diesel Engine Oil in Petrol Engines may not be troublesome. However, if you know about it, you must change it to Petrol Engine Oil (Selenia K) after draining earlier oil completely.

On the other hand, Petrol Engine Oil in Diesel Engine is surely a risk & cause much bigger troubles.
  9. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Hi ALL,

Just got the engine oil changed on my 3rd service. Filled Selenia. Engine much smoother and rev happy. Don not attribute to all this to lube alone. Air filter change must have also contributed to this.
  10. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yea even i experienced it post my 2nd service... The car becomes very smooth after the engine oil change... Well its as good as it was when it was new 7/8 months ago...