1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    5w30 wont cause any harm to your engine.It would prove great for cold starts,warm up time would be less.You might get slighter better average.But this 5w30 oil is supposed to be used for winters not summers.For summers it should be 5w40.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    But FIAT recommends 5W40 in all seasons ?
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Can any one tell me how to top up engine oil.Any precautions to take to remove the yellow cap?
    I have noticed that the level is 3/4th. I have the oil left out from last service(October 2011). How much(approximately) is needed to fill the 1/4th level.
    Can I use one year old oil.?
    Thanks
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    No precautions to be taken for removing of engine oil filler cap but precaution have to be taken on how much to fill.
    Keep checking the level after pouring some oil, it could take atleast 5mins for the level to go up after filling cold engine oil
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Is the oil level at 3/4th of max?

If yes, then let it be. No need to top up. Because it will already be at 75% of the Max value. And that's okay.

Cheers.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks Gurjinder and Vijay. It is approximately3/4th . I will post the picture of the level tomorrow.
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Take care to remove any debris around yellow cap and clean it with rag before opening the yellow cap.

The difference between minimum level and maximum level is around 1 liter.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Update:

Level before feeding(left):mad: and level after feeding(right):D

DSC02213.JPG DSC02216.JPG

Note: First picture it appear that the level is below half. But there is oil just above(or more than that) but the colour is not dark so it is not appearing in picture.
    Should I immediately take the vehicle after top up or wait for some time till Ms. Selenia make friendship with the existing members?
    I will update the change in smoothness if any. The engine was little bit rough these days. FE had dropped 2-3 . But I used to take the vehicle 130+ frequently so neglected the FE drop. May be I am correct.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    You can drive the car immediately after topping up, no issues.

When we completely drain the oil and re-fill -> then we should let the engine idle for atleast 2 minutes before attempting to drive or revv it. So that the oil gets everywhere. A local mechanic gave me this tip when one of his helpers revved up the engine immediately after refilling oil - result was damaged main bearings. :) EDIT - It was one of his customer's cars.

Think about it. You'll know the logic behind it.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I waited for 4 minits. Taken the car for a ride for 2 kms. Not much differnce. But today morning When I drove it, there was a change. I can feel that the engine is more smooth and mmore responsive. So the conclusion is that oil level was actually less. Let me drive more and see any FE change is there.

Question1: At what level the engine oil warning light will appear. Near minimum or when it is very low compared to minimum.
    Question2: Does the oil visible(level just below the opening) when we remove the cap? In my case the oil was not at all visible.