1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Yes Mobil 1 delvac is made for commercial vehicles, generally above 2000 cc. Its very good oil for heavy duty diesel engines.

This oil will find our 1,3 MJD punny :)
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have used it in my punto :( is that worry now ?
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Not at all . What Amit ( Italia Linea) meant was that to Delvac 1 the Multijet is a puny (small , tiny) engine. Delvac 1 was designed for severe use in trucks.

Compared to that , in the Multijet , it'll be like a walk in the park for Delvac 1. Throw as much abuse as you want to throw at the Delvac 1 in the engine without worry.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @ganges

Nothing to worry.The oil that i was talking about was for Gasoline engines.Delvac no need to worry :) Still i need to go in depth about this.Will keep you guys posted.
  5. Sir,
    Mobil Delvac 1 has API-SN , where S denotes it can be used for spark ignition engine, I hardly see any oil which is only for Deisel alone.
    I don't think it can harm a oil seal.but compression yes as it may do over cleaning but if you chose right spec petrol car will be happy to see a much cleaner engine.

From Carbibles
    Can I use diesel engine oil in my petrol engine?

This is an awkward question to answer. Diesel engines run much higher compression ratios than petrol engines and they run a lot hotter, so the oil is formulated to deal with this. Plus they produce a lot more dirt in terms of combustion by-products. Diesel-rated oils typically have more detergents in them to deal with this (see Using Diesel oil for flushing above). It's not unheard of for diesel oils to clean a petrol engine so well that it loses compression. Diesel-rated oils also have an anti-foaming agent in them which is unique to diesel engines, and not needed in petrol engines.
    So is that the be-all and end-all answer? Well not really and that's why this is a difficult question to give a straight answer to. The above statement is more relevant to commercial diesel engines. Nowadays, just about all passenger car / light commercial oils (including OEM ones designed for both petrol and diesel engines) will carry the ACEA A and B specifications. ie. formulated to satisfy the requirements for both types of engine. So just because the oil is labelled "Diesel" doesn't mean it's not suitable for petrol engines - it will more than likely carry an ACEA A3 / OEM petrol spec as well.
    However you do need to be a bit careful regarding choosing the right diesel spec - if you have a modern common rail / direct injection diesel, chances are it will require at least an ACEA B4 spec to cope with the higher piston temperatures that can cause piston deposits (and stuck rings). ACEA B4 is fine where B3 is recommended.

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible_pg2.html#ixzz1qwdwjsZj

-Sat
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks gurjinder and pioneer.

Pioneer,
    Please come back soon with nice report with respect to the oil standards,specification and engine body properties of FIAT.
    As we are discussing about oils lets keep it stringent to FIAT cars only and FIAT recommends ACEA A3/B3/B4.

Sat
    Do we have it on white papers that E7/E8 is fine where A3/B3/B4 is recommended ?
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    A person who can lift 50kg weight can surely lift 5 kg weight. :)

There is no need for a white paper to tell us that a heavy duty engine oil is suitable or not in a passenger car. That's my take.

x-x-x
    Here are the A3/B3 and E7/E8 definitions :

A3/B3 = Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

E7 =Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV and Euro V emission requirements and running under severe conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. It is suitable for engines without particulate filters, and for most EGR engines and most engines fitted with SCR NOx reduction systems. However, recommendations may differ between engine manufacturers so Driver Manuals and/or Dealers shall be consulted if in doubt.

E9 =Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV and Euro V emission requirements and running under severe conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. It is suitable for engines with or without particulate filters, and for most EGR engines and for most engines fitted with SCR NOx reduction systems. E9 is strongly recommended for engines fitted with particulate filters and is designed for use in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel. However, recommendations may differ between engine manufacturers so Drivers Manuals and/or Dealers should be consulted if in doubt
    x-x-x

As you can see, the E7/E8 ratings are much more demanding. If an oil can fulfill those, we don't need to worry about anything else.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  9. Thanks for the post Gurjinder,

I need to know what you eat that makes your thought processes to be so deep;-)

FIAT's 15000 km window for change of Oil that too for Selnia WR meets "running under severe conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals "?
    Our country is having lot of dust,poor quality fuel and manufacturer wants us to grind the car for 15K kms with Semi Synthetic oil.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Gurjinder,
    that opened my eyes now and fully satisfied for using Mobil Delvac1 5W40.

if something that really helps the engine performance with higher specification of oil with the same grade,then why FIAT is not recommending such thing ?instead of ACEA A3/B3 why not E7/E8 ?