1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    :shocked Damn i was on the highway and somehow just happ to check the oil, it was on the lower level so topped it up with the AGIP synthetic :uh of the same specs.
    Shake
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I second Chaos for the first part.

I am following Fiat-recommendation and I shall follow it even after warranty period. I have kept an 1-litre can of Selenia K engine oil meant for petrol engine in my Fiat Linea's boot for topping up in case of emergencies.
  3. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    not felt the need of top up yet for my baby.. would replace the oil soon during my 15k service..
  4. ysapre

ysapre

Mumbai
    This weekend i have changed the engine oil from Selenia to Castrol EDGE. Bought the 4 ltr pack of EDGE @ Rs 4330 [inclusive of tax]. The price/ltr is 1200 but there are some discounts if bought from TASS. Drained the existing selenia oil which was changed at the 15K interval [current reading of odometer is 22,000 kms]. Added around 3.3 ltrs of Castrol EDGE.

Immediate change noticed in the engine noise level, more smooth to drive- i have been watching the instantaneous consumption and i believe there could be a improvement in FE too. Will keep you updated.

BTW, when TATA uses CASTROL EDGE for Manza thats hosts the same engine, why not in LINEA? The price difference is significant though! More updates as the car is driven more.
  5. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

CAUTION!!
    Changing to a different brand of engine oil requires a full engine flush..

Each engine oil company uses different formulas. Chances are the 2 different formula's could react with each other..!!

keep your Finger's crossed.. And hope nothing goes wrong.. on the longer run!
  6. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Aashay : I think a flush is recommended more when we change the "grade" of the oil, i.e when we change from mineral to semi-synthetic, semi-synthetic to fully synthetic or mineral to fully synthetic.

For a fully synthetic to fully synthetic change : I really don't think a flush is required. (even if we are using different brands)

Yes : if we MIX two different brands of synthetic oil and add them in an engine : yes : there might be a problem. But a burnt synthetic engine oil being replaced with a brand new synthetic oil of a different brand should not be an issue.

BTW : I shifted from Selenia to Mobil 1 : and there is a significant improvement in performance. NVH levels have gone down, the engine sounds increasingly refined (especially on an uphill run with revs high). Have not checked the FE yet (and I don't think I will)
  7. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Mumbai
    Your car was with me for a week, i was amazed by the Engine Refinement at idle for a car that has only 12,8XX Kms on the Odo. Now i can get the reason why it is so, you have shifted to Mobil1.
    BTW, the Fuel Efficiency figures are mentioned below for your referece:

1. Navi Mumbai to Venue of the Meet & Back: AcB showed 18.7 kmpl (Amazing FE considering there was a lot of Traffic Jam while coming back, and uphill climb while going to the venue).
    2. Navi Mumbai to Airport & Back Yesterday: AcB showed 18.1 kmpl.

In my View, the FE is simply Fantastic, keep monitoring it.
  8. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Amogh, atleast a diesel flush??

AFAIK, two different formulated liquids should not be mixed together. burnt, unburnt.. in the end its still synthetic oil...
    You dont know the long run consequences on the engine??

Anyways, Mobil1 has its own fame... :up
  9. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Aashay even i think the same.. Engine flush is not required..
  10. infernal

infernal

Gurgaon
    Hey,

I changed my oil to OWS Turboracing and im loving it!
    There is a significant drop in the NVH, the car cranks like a petrol car, there is a HUGE drop in the harsh diesel engine noise at 140-150 speeds.
    The engine has become way more rev loving, the engine note has changed.
    Im pretty happy with this oil and will surely use it again.

Anshul
    2 people like this.