1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Nothing to worry about. Plenty of FIATians stick to 15,000km intervals and are happy with it. (Me excluded :p). Check with your TASS if they allow anything other than Selenia.

The viscosity of an oil does not necessarily tell us about it being fully synthetic or not. ;)

The Selenia that we have in India is Semi Synthetic 5W-40. However, oils like Castrol Edge 5W40, Mobil D1 5W40 are fully synth.

Cheers.
  2. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    I am also stick with fiat recommended selinia and 15k interval. If swift(older version) with same engine can handle 10k with mineral oil then why not Fiat vehicle to do 15k with semi synthetic oil? I heard some auto experts talking about changing oils earlier than the company recommended , in tv shows. but the main problem is that if manufacturer feels and recommended something we dont have to think beyond that.
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In service bills it is mentioned that "FIAT DIESEL ENGINE SYNTHETIC OIL 5W40(LOOSE)". How to conclude that whether it is full synthetic or semi-synthetic oil?

During recent 2nd service tata ass guys poured 3.5ltrs of engine oil and I found some wetness around engine oil sump, taken vehicle to ass they tightened the nuts of engine oil sump even after that I found some wetness around engine oil sump. No spotting on the parking floor only some wetness around engine oil sump. Your suggestions, please?
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    Selenia W.R. and Selenia K - Synthetic based lubricant. Not a fully synth one. If the dealer tells otherwise, then he is bluffing or doesn't know.

Selenia W.R Pure Energy and Selenia K Pure Energy , which we do not get in India are fully synth.

Cheers.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Nopes, they arent bluffing. 90% of people think its fully synthetic oil including many of our forum too :)
  6. BarneyX

BarneyX

Kolkata
    I checked with TASS, and they do have Mobil1. The SA told me that Fiat urges (he meant forces :D ) the TASS to put only Selenia. However, if I insist, he is willing to pour Mobil1.

But he said that he has Mobil1 0W40 and not 5W40 which he will be able to provide (some Rs 1100 per liter). Is it advisable to go with it?
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    :eek:

Not worth it. You have only around 6000km's to go till your next service. Go for Selenia if you intend to change oil. For 7500km oil changes, Selenia is the way to go as it is a good oil. But not for a 15,000km oil change interval, that too in India.

Cheers.

P.S. Don't forget to change the oil filter.
  8. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Purolator has seperate oil filters for synthetic oil. does it make it any difference if we use fully synthetic oil with same oem filter (as selenia 5w40 is semi synthetic as stated in this forum)? can we use that purolator filter designed for indica vista?
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Look at the link FL Selenia Technical Manual - vers. 2.0
    It clearly tells Selina K is semi synthetic.

I have a doubt. If my usage is 7K per year. Then, if using semi synthetic oil, is it ok to stick to 1Year interval. It was mentioned in this thread
    that for semi synthetic oil 7K interval will be better in Indian condition.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @mvb4u Fiat uses oil filter made by UFI, I suggest you to use the same

@Sungoa Follow the Fiat recommended interval, there is no point changing oil unnecessarily and polluting mother earth.
    Forum member "epicenter" had changed normal mineral oil in his Swift DDiS @ 20k interval and used that car for 2lacs km without any problem and now too he follows 15k recommended interval and have completed above 1 lac kms without any problem. So just relax and follow manufacturer recommended interval for all consumable items and be worry free.
    1 person likes this.