1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil Change- Selenia or any other synthetic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ysapre, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ysapre

ysapre

Mumbai
    Has anyone tried Castrol Edge or Shell Helix Ultra instead of the Selenia brand? Any difference noted?
  2. I changed to Mobil 1 fully synthetic at 15k service. Selenia is semi synthetic.

Mobil1 is Rs. 500 more per litre than Selenia !!!

I havent observed any visible difference. Expected improved FE and a smoother ride but i havent observed any difference when compared to Selenia.
  3. ysapre

ysapre

Mumbai
    Thanks. I am thinking of changing the oil to castrol Edge and see the difference- Before changing the oil at 15K, i had topped up Shell Helix Ultra and the difference in performance was noticeable. Although, i had just topped up 1 litre of Helix in the existing Selenia.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is it advisable to mix different types of engine oils?
    1 person likes this.
  5. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Selenia is fully synthetic.

What do you mean by noticeable difference ? FE, refinement, NVH ?
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I don't think so. Though it might not harm the engine, if I were to change Engine Oil with other brand, I'll get the earlier oil flushed completely & replace with new engine oil of other brand
  7. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

I suggest you stick the Fiat recommended engine oil till the warranty is over. (unless the TASC themselves recommend it)
    Tata, is known to deny (they are just looking for a reason and reduce their headache) a warranty claim if anything other than the recommended part is used. Even OIL. (Cut a small wire, you loose warranty on electrical system and mechanical damage linked to it)

Just be on a safer side till the warranty is over. After that you can go wild with what ever you want to do..
    1 person likes this.
  8. ysapre

ysapre

Mumbai
    WEll the noticeable difference was in refinement- little improvement on FE- none on NVH.

Tata is recommending Castorl Edge on Manza which has the same engine. I had seen the promotion when i went for the 15K service and it was expensive. If i remember correctly the price was a little over 1K for a ltr.
  9. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes Selena is full synthetic.. and not recommended to top up a diff brand.. if u intend to get a diff brand dont try topping up do a dry to full method rather than topup..
  10. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

Yesterday I was reading the manual and it is clearly mentioned not to mix different oils. If you want to top up, do it with same brand.