1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil change interval

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by sdp1975, Oct 24, 2010.

1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The wire mesh filter does get clogged, I recently got mine changed. The pores are quite small, cleaning it and putting it may require attention again after a couple of months as it can get clogged again.
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

i agree with rajan sir here,older cars used to come with a paper type filter,that needed replacement at every service.
    However the new one is simple wire mesh,just a hint of pressurized water and it becomes as good as new.
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Guys how about changing engine oil at every 5000kms and using mineral oil instead of using semi synth or fully synth oil?

So within 15k kms one will have 3 engine oil changes and one will be selenia at FASS & others will be mineral oil.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

That's a good idea, especially for remapped cars or for cars driven with a heavy foot.

But problem is, I have not come across any good mineral 5W40 diesel mineral oil.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    An oil seal broke loose near the crank or so I was told and Rs. 4200/- approx worth new oil went to drain last month or so. Since the oil leak was discovered pretty late, lots of oil had drained off already. Opted therefore, for a mineral oil temporarily to pin point the leak which was fixed with a 250-300 Rs. Maruti original (MGA) MJD oil seal (ditto as per Fiats own) + labour cost. Total bill Rs. 800.
    The accidental discovery was that the new mineral oil really drastically changed the engine noise and vibrations to make it a sweeter hum than the mighty FS grade Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. And being in Mumbai or Pune or most places in India, the 5w specification is a bit of an overkill ;). I had decided to drain the mineral oil immediately, but since the engine looks more happy with the mineral one, I might continue a bit more before going the semi-synth route again. Bye-Bye Fully Synthetic..! :p

For now everything is smoother than ever on the engine front.

And yes the oil change interval will ofcourse become 5000kms for a mineral oil.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    Dear Fiatians,

will the new punto evo will have a service interval of 10000 or 15000 km's?

My Punto has touched 42000 kms, last service was done at 30000 kms 8 months back , please advise whether i need to wait till 45000 kms for next service/oil change or should i do it now.

Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  7. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Its fine to follow fiat's schedule to change engine oil.( As per schedule its every 15k, i suppose)
  8. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hello everyone!
    I own a Punto 90 hp and i have clocked 1.14 lacs km till date.

Have gone through the forums but there is a mix information hence needed some clarity on oil change interval.

I have checked with FASC but every advisor has his own suggestions.

I was told since i have clocked 1 lacs plus kms i need to take special care of my engine and to do so i should ensure i change oil at 8 to 9 k intervals.

Now my question is wats the final interval i should consider.should i change at 10k?? Or follow 15k?? Schedule mentioned in manual and top up oil at every 7.5k kms???

Would Appreciate your advice...