1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil change interval

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by sdp1975, Oct 24, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Nitin 22ji, just called up the Motul dealer and he's saying Rs.950/litre and Rs.4500 for the 5L jug. And that is definitely pricey in my opinion. Dont know if that due to being imported or what.

But , Motul has always been pricier than the rest.

Have you got a quote from the Delhi guy?

Gurjinder.
    P.S. He said the same oil is supplied to Joshi Hyundai and Joshi Mercedes from him.
  2. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    ^^^ Thanks for the quote. I'm going to find out the availablility in Delhi and rates tomorrow. Will post here.
  3. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    I recently got my 3rd free service done. But i seriously doubt the TASS have done the oil change. So I thought I will go ahead and get a new pack to oil and get it replaced outside. Got hold of the Mobil 1 distributor in Bangalore. He showed me Mobil 1 super 3000 which met all requirements as specified in the Punto Manual.
    As the distributor could only sell me based on the MRP (Rs. 3400 for 4L), the nice man guided me to a dealer nearby. This guy suggested me to go for Delvac 1 which is more superior and specially made for diesel engines. I was skeptical to buy it then as the can read that it was meant for commercial vehicles. The dealer convinced me to go for it and told that many swift owners prefer this oil. I anyway bought it as he gave me a good price of Rs 3600 for the 5L can (Rs.4400 MRP).
    Now am worried If I can really use it in my punto. Is it safe? Hope it wont affect the engine internally and its longevity. Please advice.
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    @gp yash

Worry not about using the Delvac 1. Just make sure it is 5W40.

It's a fully synthetic , heavy duty oil. Will last more and better than the Selenia-WR definitely.

Go for it!
  5. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    Thanks Gurjinder ! That is surely assuring :D

Oil Filter was changed during the 3rd Service. That was 2000Kms before. Should I change the oil filter again now? And how long would the Delvac 1 last? WRT to service interval given by FIAT for Selenia WR as 15k Kms.
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    Yep, change the oil filter as well, else it's a job only half done.

As to how much the Delvac 1 will last, well that is an answer no one can give. It can run 15,000 and it can run 5000 also. :) Only a Used Oil Analysis done by a competent laboratory can tell you about the condition of the oil . :p

x-x-x-x

Are you sure TASS did not change the oil? That's highly unlikely, if they charged you for it. Do you have the service bill ?

If they did change the oil (with selenia), then 2000km's is nothing for a new oil. Let it run till 6-7000 km's and then put the Delvac 1 in the engine. You'll save some $$$ also.

Cheers.
  7. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    TASS claims they have changed the oil. They've mentioned it in the service bill as well. I checked the dip stick immediately after service and the oil was complete black, and the viscosity was also very thin ! There is no noticeable engine smoothness nor change in performance ! Hence, I assume TASS has done some gol maal ! Or I think they might have topped up the oil sump and left it without replacing !
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    Even Delvac 1 will be completely black the moment it completes one round of the insides of your engine. :)

Do not be worried by that. It's normal in the mighty soot laden diesel engines.

As for the viscosity, we cannot really judge it visually. A 5W40 oil has to be thin at normal temperatures ( The "5" in the 5W40 ensures that).

So, lay your worries to rest. Run the car till it does around 6-7k on the present oil. Then fill in the Delvac1 and a new oil filter.

Cheers.
  9. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Make this thread Sticky Mods :-D

Im getting a very good deal on Mobil1 3000 Fully synthetic 5w40 Rs700/- per litre.MRP is 850/- We are a bunch of friends buying in bulk.Uptil now have 45(ltrs)cans booked.Anyone interested just Pm me for ur booking.Dealer has promised me further price reduction if the booking crosses 50 litres :-D
  10. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    @Pioneeraaron: Thats a good deal. A mumbaites on forum should go for it. Mobil 1 3000 Meets all specifications given in the Fiat Manual.

The price running in Bangalore is at Approx ~ Rs. 3000/- for 4 L can.