1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil change interval

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by sdp1975, Oct 24, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guys, thought i'd share an update with you:

Selenia WR 5W40 and Selenia K 5W40 are not fully synthetic.

Selenia WR 5W30 Pure Energy and Selenia K 5W40 Pure Energy are fully synthetic.

Plus, Selenia WR 5W40 can be safely used in the petrol engines , but Selenia K cannot be in the Multijets. ( For the ones who accidentaly put in wrong oils)

Bottomline - If you want to give your engine the best , then Selenia is not the one. There are better ones avaiable.

As of now the one oil i've found fully compatible with FIAT specifications ( FIAT 9.55535-N2 for diesels , FIAT 9.55535-M2/N2 for petrols) for its Multijets and Petrols is the fully synthetic Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40. Going by the owners manual , this oil should not even void warranty if used. This oil can be run in both the Multijets as well as the petrols.

Another for the Multijets - Shell Helix Diesel Ultra 5W40
    I'm not too sure about Delvac 1 though.

I'll keep updating the list of oils which comply with FIAT specifications whenever i come across one.

Gurjinder.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Thats what i have been breaking my head over everywhere on the forum. although they are not the best engine oils one can safely term them as best engine oild for multijet diesels for 7500 -8000 kms.

well there are lots of better oils available. MOBIL 1 is one of them.

but since fiat is strictly sticking to selenia WR you can strictly stick to 8000 kms interval. and whenever you get the oil changed make sure its endoresed on the job card and in the system.

god forbid someday if u have to get engine worked out in warranty you can throw the service history on their face and show them how much you cared for the engine.

this oil change mantra of mine has worked very well for my friend who runs a tourist business. he puts in normal MOBIL mineral oil and gets it changed every 7000 kms max.

his indica has done 3.2 lac kms in 2.5 years, tavera done almost same. and one old indica has done 4 lac kms almost.
    never he had to open the engine.

people on our forum have run max 60-80 k kms and advice to stick oil change at 15000 kms. but then they dont know whats up inside and how much life is left.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I changed my first oil at 7500Km that were completed in 9 months of usage. With the second service just 3 months away, I did not get the filter changed. :p
    I do believe that I should have changed the oil at an earlier date (Around 7 months when the odo was at 4500Km).
    Now, I shall be sticking with the company recommended 15000Km interval with Selenia 5W40 engine oil.
  4. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Gurjinder veere, thanks for sharing the info. Do we get Motul here in India? I'll try and find about the Shell Helix one here.
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Yes Nitin 22ji, you can definitely lay your hands on Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40 in Delhi( Its available in Chandigarh). Shell Helix ''Diesel'' Ultra 5W40 wouldn't be a problem either.

I'm gonna try and get the dealer to endorse this Motul oil when the Linea goes for an oil change, since the owner's manual clearly mentions that an oil compatible with FIAT 9.55535-N2/M2 specification can be used in Multijets and Petrols. But its easier said than done to convince these guys. :p

Gurjinder.
    P. S .Although very popular, i'm yet to find compatibility of Mobil Delvac 1 fully synth in our Multijets. So, avoid it till things are more clear.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Gurjinder another oil which meets FIAT requirements is Castrol Edge 2011 packed bottles. 2011 packs have latest specification of Fiat 9.55535-S2.
    In reality you cannot term Shell Helix Diesel Ultra as Fully Synthetic, it contains Group III oils (highly refined mineral oil or hydrocracked oil)

Mobil 1 0w40 is fully synthethic oil which contains Group IV and V oil but it doesn't meet Fiat oil specification.
    Delvac 1 doesn't meet Fiat FIAT 9.55535-N2/M2
    Delvac 1 is meant for Commercial Diesel Engines. A bus or truck Idles @ around 200 RPM and Max RPM of a truck or bus is around 2000 RPM. (Atleast it was 4-5 years ago don't know about latest models)
    I doubt if a commercial diesel engine oil designed for short rev range can be used without any harm in an engine which revs a little above 5000 rpm.

Gurjinder do share you experience on new oil if you use it in your car.
    Be rest assured that you are going to have a high time making ASS use any other oil than Selenia. I too wanted to use Castrol Edge in 30k service but ASS throwed there usual bullshit as Warranty Void etc. etc.
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    I'm pretty sure its fully synthetic. Overseas it was factory fill for the Mercedes E270 CDI. Dont know about the Indian Benz's.
    Technically it is just rebadged Shell Helix Ultra with Diesel added in the name. And , Shell Helix Ultra has been used as factory fill for a few Ferraris also. ( All the source of this information is BITOG , which i regularly visit to get updates on everything related to oils)

The doubt about Delvac 1 has got cleared to a great extent. It exceeds the specifications required by FIAT , by far. It is ACEA E7 rated and it beats the previous ACEA A3/B3/B4 rating hands down.

Its made for use in high stress engines , give it stress day in and day out , 2000rpm or 5000rpm , no complaints (has been used successfully in VW's notorious PD engines)

I've mailed a few guys at FIAT India as well as FIAT S.p.A to get their views on using aftermarket oils that meet/exceed specifications. Lets hope they reply.

Cheers!

Gurjinder.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  8. amar_gahir

amar_gahir Amatore

Delhi
    Hi Gurjinder bro.. did u enquire about the Mobil delvac 1 from fiat guys? i am about to go for 3rd service.... looking for delvac this time.....getting dat for 850 per liter in delhi
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    I have sent about 4 mails in this respect to various FIAT boffins , but no reply till yet. And i don't think they are gonna reply.

So , the best thing to do is to check up with your local TASS whether they are okay with using an aftermarket oil. A TFI member posted that the service guys had agreed to use M1 Delvac provided he purchased the oil from the dealer .

Reason with the dealer that the oil exceeds the FIAT specifications.

Or ,like i posted earlier there is Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40 Fully Synth . In its specifications, it is clearly mentioned that this oil complies with FIAT specifications No. FIAT 9.55535-M2 & FIAT 9.55535-N2. These are the same specifications which are mentioned in the owners manual of our FIATs.

Here is the pdf file of the oil's specifications : LINK

There is no way the dealer can deny to use this oil on technical grounds.

Gurjinder.
  10. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    ^^^Gurjinder: What rate is the Motul 8100 5W-40 going at in CHD? Going in for an oil change in the next week or so. Need to find it here in Delhi.