1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil change interval

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by sdp1975, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @MihirC, how did you reached 10K figure? Just with your experience or you have some definite info.
  2. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    change the engine oil @ 3000 km

hi buddies,
    even though fiat recommends oil change @15000 km, it is wise to change @3000 km intially after that we can follow as per fiat's recommendation.
    since during run-in period,due to high friction between cylinder liner and piston rings,there might be a abrasion particles which might mix with engine oil and go along lubricating every other parts .

in other words it will cost RS 3500, just two tank up cost but engine will be safe from these hazard. i have changed the engine oil at 7500 km,i have told the service guy to keep hold the used oil for inspection in spite of that he scraped away, yet informed me that he felt the presence of fine particles.

i don't know the credibility of his statement.but as our common sense dictates it is absurd to run such a long duration with run-in engine.

on the safer side no maruti or tata car recommends such high mileage to change oil even though they are using the same engine.

experts............ please correct me............

regards
    linealover
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    It's not because of Maruti or Tata. It's because of the usage of Mineral Oil usage. In the same cars if you use Synthetic oil, the oil change interval would be 15,000 kms. There are multiple advantages of Synthetic oil over Mineral oil.
  4. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    oh...i thought they also use synthetic oil......

but how come same engine feels quieter in maruthi than fiat...anyway :eek:fftopic

folks in maruthi says they manufacture quieter engine with minimal lag than fiat.in addition to that slick gear shift.

regards
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Linealover,

Dont even worry about the engine oil change. No particle larger than that the oil filter will allow will ever pass through so no question about abrasion. The synthetic oils are good enough to hold well its lubricating properties for 15,000 kms and fiat has designed it to do well up to 30,000 kms in Europe, so at half life in India,it should be good enough. The only particles that go through the oil filters are diesel soot and dust from air which dont harm as such. Oil filtering is a continuous process in every lubricating cycle

If any body is to be worried about quick wear of engine parts due to dirty oil, then it should be FIAT themselves as they are giving a warranty of 1,50,000 kms on the engine. It would have been very easy for FIAT to make it easy for them by forcing us to spend Rs.3500/- during the first service and ensuring the engines last longer. There are close to 50,000 Lineas and Puntos on the road during the last 2 years and there has been no issues reported due to higher interval oil change.

Abdul
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guys, what's your opinion on changing the engine oil after the first 1000 km's are over? How many TFI'ans have followed it ?

Will the service center people have any issue with changing oil at 1000k's?

I intend to change it as soon as 1000 k's will be over.

Gurjinder

P.S. Apologies for creating a somewhat similar thread.
  7. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Re: Re: Engine oil change interval

just don't think about engine oil change for 15000km. You can check the oil level regularly and top up when required.

I am 45000km old with my Linea. So count on my advice. Strictly !! :D

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    fiat is not using fully synthetic oil. they are using semi-synthetic.

even though they use synthetic 15000 kms is overkill for any oil... even the MOBIL1. max oil can do in indian conditions is 10000 kms.

and for diesel its more prone to loose its life earlier. best option is to change oil every 7-8 thousand kms based on your usage.
  9. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Re: Re: Engine oil change interval

With my punto running at 38k+, I also recommend strictly the oil change as recommended. Just after the oil change at intended miles, you may feel some smoothening effect but it becomes same two days after. I personally used the recommended interval and no problems till now.
  10. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    I agree with Axn and FastLove and have been staying true to the specified 15k interval so far. But somewhere in my head, I have this thought to review this decision when the car reaches 40k or so (I am currently at 33k with the last oil change done at 30k).