1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil change interval

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by sdp1975, Oct 24, 2010.

1. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    With reference to the post viewtopic.php?f=11&t=878&start=10#p14003 , I think 5W-40 is synthetic 'based' as per the links above , not fully synthetic .
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check this post by chaos - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=878#p13949
    5W40 is Fully Synthetic.

How do I read the numbers around the 'W'? For example 5W40?

Single grade oils get too thin when hot for most modern engines which is where multigrade oil comes in. The idea is simple - use science and physics to prevent the base oil from getting as thin as it would normally do when it gets hot. There's more detail on this later in the page under both viscosity, and SAE ratings. But as a quick primer - the number before the 'W' is the 'cold' viscosity rating of the oil, and the number after the 'W' is the 'hot' viscosity rating. So a 5W40 oil is one which behaves like a 5-rated single grade oil when cold, but doesn't thin any more than a 40-rated single grade oil when hot. The lower the 'winter' number (hence the 'W'), the easier the engine will turn over when starting in cold climates.

A quick guide to the different grades of oil.
    [attachment=0:g060adby]oilz.png[/attachment:g060adby]

Source & More Details - http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check the engine oil bible link I have given above.

Now coming to the post you are refering to :

Check this : http://www.flitalia.it/en/fl/manuale/en/omot_0201.htm

Forget Selenia K because those are for petrol engines

Now Selenia WR PE is of specification 5W-30

Selenia WR is of specification 5W-40

Both are recommended for Multijet Engines. Both are of the same SAE grade.

Check the Selenia ACT 10W-40 Oil : it is clearly mentioned as semi-synthetic.

I really find it difficult to understand how a 5W-40 grade oil can be semi-synthetic ??

We all agree Mobil 1 is fully synthetic. What grade is it ? 5W-40 !!
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Selenia WR is Fully Synthetic. ( I am happy to know that it costs just 1600/- only even after being fully synthetic, mobil 1 fully syn cost 3,300 for oil change) :dancing
    Got to know this just now from the pdf file i downloaded many months ago. I am attaching the file here. Carefully read all the notes and it states that all the oils mentioned here are Fully synthetic and none are semi or para synthetic oils.

But having a 5W-40 grade doesn't mean the oil is fully synthetic there are some 5W-40 Semi syn oils too like this http://www.a1motorstores.co.uk/cata.../6978/XFE_PD_5w40_Oil_-_1_Litre_(5659JE).html

Attached Files:

5. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    How about sending a mail to Mangesh to get a final clarification ? But I think he might go by what the Fiat helpdesk has already said ...

I sent a mail to Selenia but still have not got a response.
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It is synthetic 'based' and not mineral 'based'.
  7. Pramit

Pramit Amatore

Hyderabad
    Guys with the 1.4, please note that - complete oil change happens during the 2nd servicing. But ,top-up your oil level at around 7K kms. I discovered before doing a long trip that my engine oil level was close to MIN reading. I put in a liter after visiting the TASC. My relationship manager told me that with 1.4 , its good put it in some oil in between your first and second servicing.

Apparently it's written in the manual as well ,but I did not read that.
  8. arulvr

arulvr Amatore

Bangalore
    ah..glad I saw this post...I just touched 7k and was planning for a loong ride...got to visit TASS then...tks !
  9. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    From what I have read and experienced,for both petrol and diesel I would suggest changing the oil and filters at 1000kms to ensure the engine is clean of any metal shavings and other deposits. Post 1000 kms , for the turbo diesels its better to change the oil at every 8-9k to ensure the smooth funtioning of the turbo, while for the petrol I would not recomment stretching beyond 10k.

I do the same for our petrol Linea.
  10. arulvr

arulvr Amatore

Bangalore
    Mihir, I assume you meant 10K kms?