1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil change interval

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by sdp1975, Oct 24, 2010.

1. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    As you all know, Fiat recommends an engine oil change every 15,000 km with Selenia fully synthetic.

Now in Indian driving conditions ( start stop traffic, pollution and dust , more idling ), is this adequate or should the oil change be done more frequently - like every 7,500 km ? Will this promote longevity of the engine ? Service manual recommends air filter to be changed more frequently if the environment is dusty - no mention of oil change.

Searching on the internet mostly recommends oil change at 5,000 miles.

What do you guys think ?
  2. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It doesnt make much difference if u change it prior to 15k kms...

If u want to shell out that extra bucks u could but not really required though..
  3. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    Just to add a note, I asked the Fiat helpdesk ( service@fiapl.com ) whether the Selenia engine oil ( WR 5W-40 used in Punto MJD ) used is Fully Synthetic or Semi Synthetic.

They repiled saying that the oil is semi synthetic.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    We were discussing same about synthetic and semi synthetic - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=878

Now for oil change interval, I don't see any issues in changing it at 15K interval. I am sure Fiat would have tested it thoroughly before recommending it. I would like to believe them. Thhough, for any doubt in mind, changing it earlier will never harm.
  5. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Stick to manufacturer recommendation and you won't go wrong. Even with so called enthusiasts advising oil change much earlier, please do not imagine that the manufacturer is the fool. Such figures are reached after extensive testing and worst condition scenarios. Be assured that even while advising 15K, Fiat has kept a few thousand km in its pocket to keep the engine in good condition. Doing it early, IMHO, is only a waste of bucks and doing it later is playing on the red line.
    2 people like this.
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In UK Grande Punto has a service interval of 18k miles. Now this means it has been brought down to 15k km (<10k miles) considering our dusty conditions. Maruti has tuned peoples mind into servicing every 5k km, so its nobody to be blamed for having the perception of oil change as early as possible.
  7. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Exactly same sentence from Mr. Mangesh. I asked him this question he told till 20K+ there should be no problem. 5K is margin Fiat has kept thinking of Indian conditions and safe play. He told since Indian customers has not seen these long intervals, they suspect sometimes.
  8. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

In Itlay\UK oil change interval is 30K kms but in India, it reduced to 15K, why? Because of Indian conditions. Its proper tested and there is no need to change before 15K kms. IMO, not at all.
  9. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That is WRONG !! Fiat helpdesk guys have no clue what they are talking about.

SELENIA WR 5W-40 IS FULLY SYNTHETIC

Check this link for details : http://www.flitalia.it/en/fl/index....ivello=1&idCanale=1&idCategoria=8&codPrd=1092

Also attaching a pdf containing the product info.

Check this also : http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

I hope there is no confusion about semi and fully synthetic now

Amogh

[attachment=0:dul48eg3]WR.pdf[/attachment:dul48eg3]

Attached Files:

• WR.pdf
      File size:
      275.9 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ravi