1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine oil change in Punto 1.4 FIRE

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by darkshooter, Apr 3, 2016.

1. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    As warranty of my punto is now expired and no service center near my home, i am planning to visit FNG and change engine and other transmission oils this time. Engine oil recommended by manufacturer is Selenia K which i guess is semi synthetic oil. I am planning to put mineral oil as my running is very less(<4k/year). Whether changing from semi synthetic to mineral oil is advisable or not. Furthermore Fiat recommend 5w-40 grade engine oil but i am not able to find mineral oil in that grade. Changing this to 15w40 is advisable?
  2. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    darkshooter likes this.
  3. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Reason behind mineral oil is nos of kms i clock every year vs high price of synthetic oil.
  4. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @darkshooter I think the link which I gave you is a good deal for 3.5 Liters.
  5. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The link speaks about diesel oil .. He is speaking about 1.4 fire petrol ..
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @moksh the chart above is misleading. I know you posted it in best interest, but it simply fails to portay a fuller picture.
    It mentions only half truth or very narrow properties and can be seriously misleading to make a fully informed choice from. Reason being thinner oil helps better flow characteristics and helps reach more in tighter tolerances of engine components. Couple that with quality synthetic esthers and you have long lasting change intervals that most importantly will degrade much slower in extended change intervals in multiple climate changes. 0W, 5W, 10W where W stands for Winter. 20, 30, 40, 50 is thickness of oil for multigrade oil.
    There are too many factors that decide which engine oil would suit what profile of driving conditions and patterns and engine performance or efficiency requirement including the lubrication abilities of engines. That is why in rare cases people still end up with premature engine issues (if not failure) irrespective of following company recommended guidelines for oil grades and change intervals.

@darkshooter, a bigger problem for you is oil grade degradation sitting idle in sump. That could be bad also from oxidation that leads to slow but definite damage to engine internals. In fact meself being a strong believer of mineral or semi synth oil user in many cases for hot humid Indian climates, your case rather looks like a stronger candidate for fully synthetic oil. Or even better a semi synth Selenia added with STP oil additive and some much needed regular spin just to keep those engine intervals coated with oil films.

Alternatively if you don't want to spend on fully sythetic, please use atleast semi sythetic 10w40 oil with STP at oil change religiously every 10th month say to cover all possibilities since your running is so less.

Also follow practice of idling much more strictly and you should have a happy engine. Remember that Castrol adv. of engine damage or critical oil demand in first few minutes of cranking engine, that coupled with ZDDP, is no marketing talk, but genuine stuff. Another story how many popular brands have duplication problems.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    vtlreja2 likes this.
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @asimpleson: Bro, what's the exact function of a STP and on what type of conditions its usage becomes important?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It's primarily a viscosity improver often used on high mileage cars and more than that it adds zddp (anti-friction) which has been reduced due to environmental reasons but at cost of engine longevity as has been seen in US where high running and high mileage is common.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  9. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry totally missed it that its was a fire engine.
  10. hydrofuel

hydrofuel Timido

mumbai
    If OP opts for sysnthetic or semi_synthetic does he have to change the oil every year since his running is less than 5k per year? What shall be frequency of oil change?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk