1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Oil change- Engine flush required?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by nishkamm, May 7, 2015.

1. nishkamm

nishkamm Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi All,

I have Punto 90 HP which has run around 23000 KMs. I had changed the engine oil in my first 15K service to the recommended Selenia semi synthetic from Fiat. I would like to change the Oil to Fully Synthetic either from Mobil1 or Shell. Is an engine oil flush required? If yes , which service center or workshop does it in Bangalore?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There is an engine oil related thread where this question can be taken up. No flushing is required this early, and perhaps flushing is not recommended, unless an engine is too old and with lots of deposits lying in unused condition for a long time. Flushing can potentially damage engine internal components in some rare cases. Flushing can be achieved by using plain diesel mineral oil for few lesser than recommended interval, combined by cleaning of the sump, but at a much later date or during major services at 60k should you want to.

I will recommend diesel specific oils for Aftermarket even if semi-synthetic. Mobil 1 FS has been said to deliver smoother note and performance. But from personal and experience of few other people I can say, shell helix 5w40 FS grade is waste of money on the MJD. Could be good if Diesel marked version of the same is introduced here, but its not available in our market. Stick to Selenia, its pretty good although a tad higher priced. Buy STP Diesel oil treatment and add while changeover and give feedback.

Best of Luck..!
  3. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Is engine flush written anywhere in the owners manual or service booklet?
    NO

These and other such tactics are used by service centers to inflate your bill by a couple of thousands.

Do only as suggested at the back of the service coupon. Everything else is bullshit.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Its not the concept of flushing that is wrong, it is more like the method and frequency and need and urgency of the same that needs be carefully thought about. And yes, most modern oil (esp.) diesel engine oils have the necessary soot and particle cleaning detergents that can keep the engine clean. Although I am not too sure about the friction reduction capability of most oils which according to some reports I have read of lately which of course can be debated on. However, I do not suggest or invite anybody to do any experiments of any nature; esp. without full and prior understanding of the products or additives as recommended everywhere on the internet. There are side effects to performance enhancement drugs .. ;)
  5. nishkamm

nishkamm Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you for you replies asimpleson and viveksonkhla.

As you said Selenia is a good engine oil for Semi synthetics and I have had no issues with it. But i wanted to test a fully synthetic oil once and see if it makes any difference.

I would not for an Engine oil flush. But what would be the correct procedure to replace the Selenia with a Fully Synthetic Oil? I would like to do it myself(DIY).
  6. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet

Using any engine oil is your choice.. you can use Mobil 1 synthetic oil.. but then you will have to pay full market price for that. Fiat subsidizes Selena K for Fiat customers thats' the reason it is cheaper then the other ones.

Just drain out the old oil and replace it with the new one.. thee will never be an contamination issue...
  7. nishkamm

nishkamm Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Okay. Thanks Vivek.
  8. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    If you are within your warranty period, its better to stick to the FASS service due to any warranty claims that you may do in future.

I generally prefer mineral oils like Shell Rimula R4 or Motul Tekma Mega. These costs way less than synthetic and the engine feels as good as it was running with Selenia from FASS.
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I agree with @avnsiva, best to go for oils specifically forumlated and marketed for diesel engines. Shell Rimula R4 or Motul Tekma Mega are great alternatives for a smoother engine and great engine wear protection.

I cannot agree that Selenia WR 5w40 etc. are subsidized. These oils are price equally or rather higher over here too.

@nishkamm, remember to change filter too; you must know that well but just a reminder since you said you want to do a DIY. Again FS is not necessary, but if you insist, try Mobil 1 Delvac.
  10. GaganTakker

GaganTakker Amatore

New Delhi
    Change your oil early and keep the engine clean 10K shoudl be okay
    And you drive in very congested traffic routes and lots of highways , you may try 7500 oild change also

3 or 4 oil changes in next 30k Kms will cost you same as getting a full synthetic or flush etc and will also not affect your warranty