1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine not starting after washing engine Bay

Discussion in 'Technical' started by bibin, Nov 7, 2015.

1. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    Dear All,

i had given my car for a car wash and the engine bay was also washed but after the wash the car didn't start.

had to charge the battery to make it start.

does washing the engine bay will affect the battery?
  2. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    What car was it? Have you wrapped ECU and other electrical parts before you proceeded for wash? If water entered in ECU and some other electrical parts, You might have got this problem. Consult a good mechanic or near Fiat service point.
    R Rajesh likes this.
  3. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @Raaz

thank you for the advice.

water entered into battery , had to charge the battery, now the issue is resolved.

learnt my lesson that "we should not wash the engine bay" unless it is required that much.
    Raaz likes this.
  4. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @bibin I dont see any issue in washing the engine bay. I have been washing my car at least twice a month which include engine bay as well as chassis. Its been 3 years now, I never faced any issue. May be some issue with the battery casing in your case. Most of washing centre guys I have seen are very well aware of ECU and other electrical components while directing water jet. In case my car, battery has been pressure-washed many times. Immediately after washing engine bay is dried with air-pressure. Some guys follow practise of spraying oil-based solvents in the engine area before/after to avoid corrosion I guess.
    Hebbar and Raaz like this.
  5. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    No.. it does not.. you battery might be having some troubles anyways.. so when the terminals got wet ..it was the final nail in the coffin... remember... never start your car after washing without drying battery terminals...
    bibin and ViPr like this.
  6. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    You are welcome mate. Actually, there is no need to wash engine bay. But we cannot resist that, are we? We can clean but need to be little careful while washing it.

Previous generation Fiats especially Palios are prone to be in danger if you wash engine bay unless you care about the sensors, ECU and other electricals. One must take care of that before its going to be washed.
    ViPr likes this.
  7. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Raaz your point is valid. Currently I have PUNTO as well as Palio 1.2. Yes Palio could be exposing some electrical contacts but as u said washing person should be careful. And he should make sure that bay is dried completely to avoid any short. Thankfully I didn't face issue in Palio also :)
    PradeepM and Raaz like this.