1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Noise in Toyota Etios and Ford Figo and Fiesta!

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by chandu.paladugu, May 26, 2015.

1. chandu.paladugu

chandu.paladugu Timido

Bangalore
    Hi,

I had observed a noise from etios/liva and figo/fiesta diesel engine cars produce more sound when the AC is switched ON. i think there is a fan running on and off to cool the engine or something.

In case of Fiat MJD engine / Renalut/Nissan Dci and Hyundai CRDI's i didnt observed this kind of sound.

What might be the exact reason. please enlighten !

Cheers,
    Chandu
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Figo is 8 valve per cylinder and MJD/CRDi has 16 valve per cylinder.

I dont know if this is the main cause of engine noise but this is the main difference in Figo TDCi engine and MJD engine.
  3. chandu.paladugu

chandu.paladugu Timido

Bangalore
    Hi kedar,

The sound is observed only when you are running with AC on and not all the time. for one moment i thought there is some problem with my cousin's fiesta. then understood that this is normal for that vehicle and started observing other vehicles. so came across Etios cab with similar noise.

Is the intercooler concept has to do anything with this?

Do MJD have intercooler technology incorporated in the engine?
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Small correction bro.. It is 8 valves per engine/ 2 per cylinder and the mjds have 4 per cylinder and 16 over all.

Abdul
    kedarbendre likes this.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Yes most of the modern diesel engines has Intercooler incorporated with Engine and MJD is not an exception.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

The Renault DCI run on 8 valves (2 valves per cylinder). The 16 valve engines are MJD and CRDI.
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There is more need for cooling when AC is turned on. Therefore the cooling fan kicks in - which unfortunately makes lot of noise when it turns on. It also depends on the cooling system. For example - stock system in my 1.4 petrol was not behaving like this. Fiat upgraded AC system to address inadequate cooling. After that fan started kicking in as soon as I started AC. Started making hell lot of noise when AC is switched on!
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @RaviHegde @chandu.paladugu

Yeah, fiat provided a free upgrade to the under-performing or rather under-specced by design 2009 petrol ACs on early Lineas and Puntos: my dad's car got one done. Made and makes a fairly royal racket compared to the later cars with properly specced systems from factory: but, to be fair, mostly just outside rather than in. Amped-up cooling fan, i think. The new AC set-up and overall AC compressor+fan etc nvh on the new Linea (t-jet) is butter smooth, malai-makhan, by comparison, and absolutely.

Also, the amount of nvh dampening on the Etios and the old Fiesta is at a minimum, as it continues to be on even the best-selling Honda City, it of the loud-grating 'new' aluminium diesel engine. While the new Linea (esp T-jet, obviously) and Punto Evo are overall nvh dampening champs, by a distance, in their respective segments, especially since very little suspension noise gets through, though wind noise at higher speeds is still fairly obvious.

@acechip

What's the nvh dampening like on your 2015 upgraded Duster, assuming that the 8 valve diesel engine's much noisier than your t-jet? Of course beyond a certain minimum stuff like nvh smoothness is of decreasing marginal utility/value....
    acechip and RaviHegde like this.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    In case of Etios Liva or Figo, the damping is not that effective and transmits the engine noise inside the cabin. This is more pronounced when accelerated or AC on. This was one the main reasons for me choosing Punto over them. In comparison Punto's MJD seems more silent than the Fords and Toyotas.

I was surprised to see a slim damping material on the inside of the bonnet which was doing the job of keeping the noise level to a minimum.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Noise is also due to how well or unwell the coupling system and compressor health is along with the ac clutch, belt etc. Also, due to extra load on engine which also drives compressor, some main fans for radiators would go and keep engaged in full speed mode, also putting heavy load on car electricals. Temperature sensors and other regulators and condensors etc. must be working well so that AC performs optimally without wasting too much engine efficiency in the process.
    RaviHegde and prabhjot like this.