1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Misfiring with Power Loss

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rev to Boost, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Rev to Boost

Rev to Boost Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    @prabhjot, will get the EGR/intake manifold cleaned up, i hope its easy for authorised service centres
    @KKAUL thanks for the detailed advice, planning to spend this Saturday in DRS Fiat service centre and get said things checked, Hopefully these guys are aware of said things and able to resolve the matter
  2. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @KKAUL : Good info on Handyfile. havent heard of this before.
    @Rev to Boost : please do update the thread post your visit to FASS.
  3. Amar Dhalla

Amar Dhalla Timido

New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hi Fiatians,

i have 1.4 grande punto petrol 2009. From last 4-5 months, it's misfiring like it won't stop but yes at low revs it sounds like misfiring and whole car keeps vibrating. Then i took a help from service centre (THRUST FIAT) they advised me to change all the ignition coil along with the spark plugs. So, i changed them all with the cost of 12000 (approx.). But, now it's still misfiring and yesterday after running like 20 km when i stopped (ignition off) the car and then i started again i saw oil pressure warning. According to the warning i switched off the car and on again. Gracefully, warning went away, but as usual misfiring was still there. Due to which, my car is giving the mileage of 8.3 km/l .

Please guys suggest some working steps for misfiring.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I believe the mileage you have mentioned is city traffic mileage. In that case it may not be too bad because when I was in Bangalore under best conditions also my 1.4 FIRE engine did not exceed 9-9.5 kmpl in city. Highway is different story - it goes up to 18-19 kmpl! Misfiring definitely will cause problems with mileage and more serious problems will develop in the engine. If you read the manual it says never start the car with any of the spark plug connectors disconnected even for testing. IMHO FASS is the best option you have to diagnose and fix this problem. They should be able to find clues if they look at the diagnostic information stored in the on-board computer of your car using the OBD scanner. If not mostly it may be trail and error to find out the failed component causing this problem. In any case don't keep driving with this problem, it will seriously damage your car engine.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @Amar Dhalla, even if warning did went away, please check oil level with dip stick. Early morning before engine startup is best way to get a clear level on dip stick. In case its low please refill of course.When was the oil changed last. OEM oil is better to change at 7.5-10k interval for city drive conditions.

Meanwhile email Thrust Fiat and mention the whole service and expenses and about the still lingering issue. Also ask the reason for the same, and schedule another appointment. Do not forget to CC to Fiat (Mangesh Kodalkar) and ask for an early resolution.
    The car needs to go on examiner again. And the timing too could be checked once again, if you request them and they pay heed to that. Looks like coil wire issue to me, but do ask them to check that first. Also ask them to check the knock sensor.

Remove the battery overnight -ve terminal and reconnect and drive in morning.

(Warning: when working on or near battery, using metal ornamental chains can be very dangerous!!)
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Clean EGR valve. If problem repeats replace EGR valve. I had also encountered issue. After replacing it solved.