1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Misfiring with Power Loss

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rev to Boost, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Rev to Boost

Rev to Boost Timido

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dear Members

I am new to this forum and am facing a issue with my car (1.3mjd, 75k run, 75bhp). The problem is that when i rev it hard with almost full throttle till 3300 rpm and then suddenly upshift again with nearly full throttle (mostly during enthusiastic kind of drive), i do face misfiring issue where engine kind of engages/disengages and hence the power loss. Also some times (once in 15 days) i do face the starting problem, where the problem is not battery but engine takes time to start even with proper ignition (as heard). What could be the problem guys?? Not that techie when it comes to engine stuff, but can it be fuel pump or turbo issue. Car does have good pick up otherwise especially when accelerated gently rather than sudden press..

Please suggest
  2. gklc811

gklc811 Novizio

Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Not sure of the issue.
    But on full throttle the rev limiter might kick in which would show the engine engage disengage problems(Felt in my R15 when reaching 10500 rpm)
    Might be the same issue but not sure
    Rev to Boost likes this.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Have you done the 75000 kms service, changed timing chain, airfilter,?. If not let them do the service and then see again if those symptoms are coming back. May it is all clogged up and unable to breathe freely.

Abdul
    prabhjot and Rev to Boost like this.
  4. Rev to Boost

Rev to Boost Timido

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, done with the 75k service and all the filter and oil change, timing chain as i know is required to be changed in case of 90hp version at 75k (can u confirm)
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi.

It is VERY advisable to get the timing chain change done at 60K, but hopefully 75K will be fine in your case.

Get the EGR valve(s) cleaned and checked, too, if they haven't been?

cheers
    Turbothinghy and Rev to Boost like this.
  6. Rev to Boost

Rev to Boost Timido

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thanks prabhjot for the reply, i haven't got the egr valves checked, will do so immediately. Also i guess Fiat mentioned timing chain change only for 90hp version though for reasons known to them only. Can u please suggest on which service center to approach in this regard, i did try torque fiat but not that satisfied. Will error scan help anyway???
  7. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    Check the MAF sensor and look for any error codes.

Even if the EGR/intake manifold is clogged up you may get these kind of issues.
    Rev to Boost and prabhjot like this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hey listen, am no expert on engine maintenance etc, just shared what I've learnt so far, from experience and listening to/reading the ustaads.

DRS Gurgaon or Faridabad are consistently good, from my and my Dad's experiences with our Fiats, old and new, and I'd wholeheatedly reccomend them ahead of Torque.

Of course, be vigilant and engaged, still, but they're pretty good, and reputed to be so as well.

As I can make out from what you've stated: you have not got the timing chain job done?

You MUST, asap. But it is a 'service routine'-enough job, as is the egr valve/maf sensor etc checks, so no panic!

cheers
    Rev to Boost likes this.
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3

You can go for the above suggestion and also go to some authorised service centre. Tell them to plug in the Handyfile and check for injector and fuel pump pressure seperately under hard acceleration as well as at the time of starting .
    If you are facing long start Issues might be Probably
    1) Secondary pump is not able generate enough fuel pressure
    2) One or more of your Injectors are internal leak and car is not running on all four cylinders
    3) Fuel filter clogged
    4) Starter motor need to be serviced and sparking points to be checked.( only for long start not for knocking)
    5) Rail is not able to maintain the pressure. There is sensor on Rail I do not remember the name and code Service guys can check that easily.
    6) For knocking: If injectors were removed recently or tempered then there is a eprom on the injector which has a program that hand shakes with ECM. That needs to be rewritten.

All this can be checked on Handyfile without opening anything.

If recently made any refill of diesel outside Delhi and problem has occured then 100% injectors

! advice do not rev hard coz crankshaft might take a hit if all 4 cylinders are not operating. Stay as low as 1500 to 1800 rpm.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 1, 2015 ---
    Can We have the Model year to check whether it is in warranty or not. Then I can advice you more
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I suggest you switch to shell diesel . for a while. Drive normally and observe the changes over a tankfull of good fuel. Sometimes certain issues resolve by themselves.

Abdul
    prabhjot likes this.