1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine issue with my Linea T-Jet plus..

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arunsblore-tjet, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arunsblore-tjet

arunsblore-tjet Timido

Bangalore
    All,

I have Linea T-jet-plus driven around 54k kms. I normally get the check-up done every-time before a long drive ,apart from regular service. On last long weekend I had taken my car for check-up and service guy had mentioned about engine oil was not changed for long time. I really got surprised as I had given vehicle for regular service and history of car was not checked up 'n this was not informed to me. I did asked them to change oil .

Service executive called me after some time saying, engine oil has turned greasy and this need to be flushed before filling the new oil. I gave go-ahead and EOD, I got my car but they mentioned not to take for long drive but observe for sometime as they found some issue with engine. So, we took my other car for long drive and once back, I took my t-Jet for office. After driving for about 12 kms , I got "Engine error" and straightaway took to service center.

After much delay, they informed me that Turbo has failed and they need to test with new turbo. They can let me know about any further engine issues only after replacing Turbo.

I need suggestions from you all ,how to go about.
    1. Isn't it responsibility of service center to inform about engine oil change and isn't it negligence of them?
    2. Shall I complain to Fiat about the same for compensation in case service center not come up with some work-around?
    3. They have already charged me around 9k for oil change and now if I pay for Turbo and later reliazed engine need to be replaced, I will loose all this expense. What is best way to get this resolved?
    I do appreciate, suggestions from your side.

Thanks in advance,
    Arun
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is your car covered under warranty or Ext warranty? Or these are lapsed?
    Have you checked your bill? Check and see when last engine oil was changed. This is surprising, if someone has given car for regular servicing, and then oil was not changed.
    Which service center is it?
  3. arunsblore-tjet

arunsblore-tjet Timido

Bangalore
    I have checked the all the previous bills . My last oil change was @ 28k and for last 25k plus run the oil was not changed. I had given for service ,while free-check up camp( as I wanted to change brake pads and during this time we get discounts), But they have mentioned as "running repair" in their record. After last oil change, I had left vehicle at service center 3 times. Isn't oil check-up is basic check-up and customer be informed after looking at service history?

Thanks
  4. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @arunsblore-tjet
    I find things lacking at both ends. If indeed you have given the cars to freecheck up camps, I guess oil level check and top is also covered.
    But getting the car serviced lies with the owner of the car. you have given the car for SERVICE. Please check whether the service centre has given any comments during the campaign for asking you to bring the car to service. Because during campaigns, normally the service centre will be packed and they will ask you to comeback another day for servicing.

Campaings are a way to pull customers to service centre and mostly they are all half baked. Not just with Fiat, even in other brands. The best thing I always expect to happen during campaign is free water wash.
  5. arunsblore-tjet

arunsblore-tjet Timido

Bangalore
    @GP_Freak

In one of check-up they had mentioned about brake-pad change required 'n asked me to come on free-checkup camp as there will be some discounts. Whenever I leave my vehicle ,its responsibility of service center to check bumper-to-bumper with all basic tests. Also they need to see my service history and advise me about things to be get it done. I was not asked to come on any other day not got any service reminders in this period.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes service centers should have told you clearly, but you should have also made sure all lubricants are changed on schedule, as per manual. Looks to me you went for free check-up camp/s, and missed to do regular service.
    If above is true, my suggestion is to work with service center and see how best can cost be reduced. If required, reach out to Fiat and see if they help.
  7. arunsblore-tjet

arunsblore-tjet Timido

Bangalore
    Whether it is free check-up camp or regular, I should have advised about this lubricant change. In all these years with 3 cars I own , I do normally check this, But we tend to just trust on service center for their advise. So, this was missed out from my-side. When brake-pad change/clutch issues n many other issues were informed to me,how did they missed out this so important intimation? I think, the turbo change would cost around 60k and if I need to change engine ,it will be near to 1.5 lakhs :- (
  8. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    @arunsblore-tjet , I agree with @Ravi . In this case it seems to be you missed regular service interval, be it not being reminded by service center folks or you forgot. From the company perspective, they will look at the service history and it says car is not serviced at specified intervals.

Best is to work with service center and try to minimize the damage to your pocket. Let them manage the show with FIAT.
  9. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Did the service reminder not buzz on the MID for you to not miss it, after your last service at 28k km? Assuming it was set to..
  10. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hold on hold on hold on!

Multiple things happening here. Let's take it one by one.

To begin with : leave the free check up camp aside.

When was your car purchased ? If your car has done 54k kms:

• First engine oil change at 15k km - First service after the 5k checkup
    • Second engine oil change at 30k km (this is the 28k one I am assuming you are talking about) - Second service (All other fluids viz. brake oil, transmission oil, power steering oil, coolant are also changed in this service. Was this done?)
    • Third engine oil change at 45k km - Third service
    Had you taken your car for the third year / 45k km interval service? I am not talking about "service camps". I am talking about the scheduled service after taking an appointment. If yes : you have every right to complaint. If no - you cannot!

Service camps are not equilvalent to a full service. Service camps are optional, routine service is not! And they do not check viscosity of oil at the service camp. They only check the oil level. If it has gone low they top up. Brake pads and brake discs can be checked visually without removing any parts and therefore recommendations are easier to give. For engine oil you have to drain the engine oil and check. Brake pads and discs are wear and tear items and their life depends on the usage. My brake pads lasted for 50k kms : someone else's will last for only 20k kms. Changing brake pads and discs at every service is NOT mandatory and therefore can be done on an ad-hoc basis depending on the condition of the parts. This is NOT true for engine oil. Engine oil has to be changed at 1 yr or 15k kms (max) irrespective of anything else. That is non-negotiable. (Heck some of us here change engine oil every 7.5k kms. We don't even wait till 15k)

It is not their responsibility only to inform you about oil change. It is the owners responsibility as well to get the car serviced on time. Also, they do not check service history during check up camps. You may not like this but it is a fact. And this is not specific to FIAT. This is true for any manufacturer.

If you can : upload scan copies of all the service bills. That will make things clear.

I repeat : if you have got all your routine servicings done on time your case is strong. Otherwise it is not.

Amogh
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.