1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine Flushing

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Tarun, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    Hello Dear Fiatians and Punters :)
    i was willing to know that after how much miles munched we should get our mjd engine Flushed ?? or is it even safe and recommended ??
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The really safe and the most effective way to flush an engine is by changing the engine oil within a span of say 500 or so km's after an oil change.

The engine oil , diesel engine oils in particular have cleaning and soot carrying capabilities ; the new oil has maximum soot carrying capacity , so changing it early will ensure that quite a lot of soot / deposit go out of the engine with the oil.

Yes it'll be quite expensive as Selenia isnt exactly cheap , but this way, there is no need to worry about how the engine flush solution will impact the engine seals etc.

P.S.I did the above mentioned procedure on our trusty Toyota Turbodiesel once, but in a much more aggressive manner.
  3. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Like what Gurjinder said above the engine oils of the current generation diesel contain cleaning and soot carrying capabilities.

As far as kms by when you need to use the engine flush, it all depends on how soon do you change the engine oil in your car. But generally recommendation would be around 30k kms. I use either the OWS engine flush or the wurth engine flush.

Hope this helps
  4. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    yo thanks man ! ..
    but can you explain what will be Positives of Engine Flushing ?? and is the effect Noticeable ?? and bro as u early said that these current gen Engine oil COntains maximum Soot n Deposits carrying capacities SO i am confused here, does it makes sense to Go with Engine Flushing ..
    i mean Is the Flushing impact this big that one should Do this why Thy Engine arnd 40-50kms .. or with the Engine gets Self cleaned just by changing the Oil SO that Engine Flushing is not necessary ..
  5. I got a little milder way of doing it,requested TASS folks to use ordinary mineral oil and run the engine for 30 minutes at 3K RPM,and flush the mineral oil and go to Selnea.

Reason I went this procedure is I was told that if I use commercial engine flush like OWS/STP turbo will be damaged or almost like running turbo on dry with out oil (lack of viscosity once you add engine flush),I heard for Turbo diesel flush but did not get it in Bangalore.

But coming back, my car is lot more refined that what it used to be,car has run 7500 kms since the service but still it is retaining the refinement.

I feel one should go for oil change at say 3 or 5Kms initailly.

6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    i am not very sure but i think soot and metal deposit for initial 15000km would help engine get more refined . early changing of oil will deprive of such natural wear.

my car is at 10000km and i haven't changed the oil yet and surprisingly engine has been getting better day by day. i still remember initial 1000km which were so strained and disappointing to drive. but post 3000km everything started to change.
  7. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    I was just COMparing my Car (Punto 1.3 MJD- 8000 kms Covered) with mY nephews (indica Vista- 50K COvered)...
    SO were thinking abt the Engine Flushing .. SO raised the Topic
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

ok here you go. engine flushing is good for engines health provided you keep doing it say every 20-30k kms.
    well if there no carbon built up you will not feel any difference after flushing.
    but dont believe the claims of most of the brands who mfg. engine flushes.

the turbo wont get damaged during flushing as the oil is already in there and you just run the engine at idling speed for 3 minutes. you should never revv the engine.

diesel engine oil have the cleaning additives built in, so changine the oil every 7500-8000 kms is the best way to avoid any carbon deposits.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Do not put any other oil apart from Selenia WR in the engine, even for flushing purposes.

As for the benefits, clean engine=happy engine :)

10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    what about petrol engine. my uno has done north of 2l kms and i have never done engine flushing, except the regular oil changes. what do you guys suggest? should i get the n engine flushed? does it has any side effects like oil leaking afterwards as i have read somewhere. which engine oil flush you all suggest?