1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine drinking oil and emitting black smoke

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by arunkmd, Jun 26, 2014.

1. arunkmd

arunkmd Timido

Erode
    Kodumudi, Erode DT, Tamil Nadu.
    Linea 1.3
    Hi,

I have done 74000 Kms in my Linea Diesel emotion pk 2010 and i am shocked to see black smoke in my car, engine oil level also went low (changed oil in 68000 Kms). I have checked with Marvel fiat in erode for diagnosing the problem, they said that there is an issue with oil seal in Turbo and you need to change the Turbo (cost around 45000). I am totally upset after hearing this.

was the actual problem with Turbo? Pickup and engine performance seems normal.
  2. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    that's a real sad thing to hear. 45k ?? that can hurt . Did u check out with another mechanic ? second or third opinion.
    i m not very good with the technicality of enignes.but densesmoke coupled with uncommenly high consumption of enggine oil is a worrying sign of a failing engine or turbo.If it's teh seal as they have mentioned, is it not possible to just change the seal. Problem is half hearted or jugaad engineering may cost you more in the later stages. I know my words are not very comforting but i still suggest to check out with another mechanic. Someone smart out there might be able to figure it out with an easier solution. Not to forget that people at service station will try to giv eyou the maximum dent in pocket and recommend procedures which might not be required. Do take another opinion and keep us posted. best of luck....
  3. R.chopra

R.chopra

India
    ouch!! thats heavy. On this note I would like to ask fellow members to suggest a few mechanics who are well qualified to work on Fiat cars outside service centre. I am looking for someone too for opinion or getting small time repairs outside service centre, if anyone know of such a work shop in delhi. please do let me know and for arun his home town members also do refer such workshops. Thanks
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    If it is engine job, then you can look at mechanics who work on maruti cars like swift diesel for the 75 hp and for the 90 hp the tata guys working on manza will know what to do. The parts are the same but for some like the turbo hoses which are designed specifically as per the bonnet architecture. This is what I feel.

Abdul
  5. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    price of turbo went so high recently? VGT costs more than doubble of fgt? i doubt
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/fiat-oem-accessories/3331-turbo-charger-replaced-under-warranty.html

If u have extended warranty, try that, my friend's linea with heavy oil consumption, got his half engine replaced in ext wrnty after lots of escalation to higher officials...
    There is another FASS in salem which has been praised so much by many, try there for second opinion before jumping into conclusions...
  6. animeshkumar15

animeshkumar15 Timido

BLR
    i don't think this is an issue with the turbo , as your acceleration is normal, black smoke can be due to adulterated diesel or fault O2 sensor.

With 74k on odo, i would suspect the Oil rings.
  7. arunkmd

arunkmd Timido

Erode
    Linea 1.3
    Is that True Sai Motors or TAFE Access Ltd? in salem
  8. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Is there any update on this issue Arun. All are having their eyes and ears open to find the resolution and root cause for this problem
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Check if any whistling noise from the turbo.MY car's Turbo failure symptoms were black smoke , reduced pick up, whistling noise.Mine was refurbished and put back and is dong fine.It was some Turbo manufacturer situated in Goregaon , Mumbai.The refurbishment cost was Rs 19000 although I got it free under EW.
  10. arunkmd

arunkmd Timido

Erode
    Linea 1.3
    Changed the Turbo from another dismantled vehicle for cheaper price
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 13, 2015 ---
    Again the problem started..... I can see oil spills on turbo hose and on engine too. Still the oil level is going down (topping up approx. 1L per 1500 Kms) and I can notice white smoke and air from oil dip stick. White smoke is coming out from silencer also when I accelerate :banghead:

Still there is no drop in pickup and mileage (giving 18Km PL)

Mechanics says, the engine is started dying. It will get sized any time.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015