1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine De-carbonisation

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sandy.chegi, Dec 21, 2012.

1. sandy.chegi

sandy.chegi Novizio

Hi TFIans,

I searched the forum but couldn't find any thread on engine de-carbonisation. Hence created a new one.

Coming to the point, I was watching the discovery turbo and the Wheeler dealers program was being telecasted. In this episode, there was something about De-carbonisation. Then, I realised, if we had some thread in our forum for the Fiat cars.

So was wondering is it good to perform de-carbonisation for the 10 years old Fiat GTX, or for that matter, the Puntos and Lineas. How frequently should one get the de-carbonisation done?

The reason for me to ask about it is because I read online that its not good to perform de-carbonisation as it removed some good carbon within the engine. However, few said its good to get it done. I understand there is no hard and fast rule for it but was wondering, if anyone of us have any data points for it.

Our forum's gurus might throw some insights into it.

1 person likes this.
  2. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Were you watching the episode in which Mike and Edd repair the Jaguar XK8? I watched it too! :)

That equipment Edd was using costs £70 for a single use, which translates to around Rs 5600. He also mentioned that its not yet readily available in the UK, so there's a very little chance it will be available in India.

What are the alternate methods to de-carb an engine?

Edit: Here's the video of that episode.

The engine de-carb part starts around 7 min 30 sec.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

If the engine is running fine, just keep enjoying the car.

The only real decarb, in my opinion, is to pull the head off and clean it, along with the piston tops.

And truth be told, the fuel injected engines aren't that bad when it comes to being carboned up as compared to the carburetted ones. I saw a well used FIAT 1.2 being dismantled for overhauling and it was quite okay.
    2 people like this.
  4. sandy.chegi

sandy.chegi Novizio

Yes Prakhar. You nailed it. I forgot the model of Jaguar. So couldn't mention it. Thanks for the video link as well. :)

Okay. Thanks for the inputs Gurjinder Ji. :)
    1 person likes this.
  5. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

It all depends on how you take care of the vehicle.
    Opening the tappet cover will give you a brief idea whether an engine needs a decarb or not,it is not recommended to do engine flush on old engines.

This is how my Ex Accent's engine looked like,when i took off the tappet cover for gasket replacement.
    This picture was clicked at 1.05L kms on odometer.
    1 person likes this.
  6. sandy.chegi

sandy.chegi Novizio

Talking of engine flush, the earlier car owner used to do engine flush during every service (15K KMs as it runs Fully Synthetic oil). Even I did the same the last time I got the car serviced.

So I believe, car is well maintained. Having said that, I will remove the engine cover and see whats the status. Thanks for the pic and pointer Akshay :)
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Even My Accent used to Run on Mobil 1 5W50 FS oil changed every 8-9K kms.
    Engine flush at each oil is not at all recommended,i flushed just once while switching to FS,after that it was just an oil change every 8-9K kms.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If the carbon builds up as the car gets old,then why one says the more the KMS running the car is more silent and smooth and engine opens up. ?
    Atleast i feel the smoothness,peppy(not like swift,but better than initial period) in my car after 62000 Kms.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. Gokulk

Gokulk Novizio

Hello FIATians

I will explain what kind of decarbonisation i have done to my linea.I just got an 3M decarboniser (costed around 2800 bugs) & its a spray kind of thing & they connect it to the inlet manifold pipe & they just cranked it (without starting) & it cleaned all the carbon deposits on the injector area & in the conbustion chamber

I really felt an dramatic difference once its done....Had a happy drive to bangalore after that