1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine cool after long drive & general sluggishness - is that a problem?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by L0dest0ne, Jun 15, 2015.

1. L0dest0ne

L0dest0ne Novizio

New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hello friends.

Came across an unusual thing with my Punto 90 HP during the weekend.

After driving from Delhi to Chandigarh (Murthal to Chandigarh non-stop) on Friday evening, I found that the engine hood was cool to the touch, rather than warm / hot as normally the case is. Noticed the same thing on the drive back on Sunday.

I am mystified by this. Please advise if this is a problem.

I have also recently felt the following:

a) The Punto feels a little sluggish esp. at city speeds
    b) There is a little hesitation before starting upon ignition (at times, not always). Glow plugs had been replaced last month.
    c) There has been a slight dip in mileage. Returned a mileage of just under 20 kmpl during the round trip from Chandigarh. It is usually about 21-22 or more.
    d) The gears feel a little stiff. esp. when changing back to first.

The Punto has done almost 45,000 kms (10,000 kms plus during this year) and is due for her service in August.

Please advise if these symptoms indicate any problem or is it just that its almost time for service?

Cheers,

Sunil.
  2. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I dont see any problem with the car. Even i had noticed engine hood coolness in my friend's Evo after a long drive.
    a, c, d should be fine after the service. get it serviced soon. You dont have to wait till 45k for the third service.
    b --> what exactly you meany by hesitation. Have you replaced the battery? if its 3 year old then its on its way out.
  3. L0dest0ne

L0dest0ne Novizio

New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks for the response Deepak.

Its actually the 4th service for my car (2011 model). Had the battery replaced last year end. So I guess, a service should do the trick.

By "hesitation" I mean, sometimes it does not start upon the first turn of the key unlik earlier. Or there seems to be a slight cough before it starts idling.
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @lodestone: slightly tilt the steering towards right or left during ignition. it might work.