1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engine change for 2002 FIAT Palio 1.2

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Abhishek Hirlekar, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Abhishek Hirlekar

Abhishek Hirlekar Timido

Pune
    Pune
    Linea 1.3
    Hi All,

We own a Palio 1.2 Tangerine Mist color which was purchased in the year 2001 when it was launched with a great tagline "Technology to the MAX..."

I know many of you will say it has reached end of its life-cycle but we (me and my dad) are fond of this car. We love it to the MAX (Even more than our current Linea 1.3 MJD) as this car is simply amazing.

However, the time has come to do some much needed modifications to the car. Starting with heart replacement as the current one is almost 3.5 lacs kilometers old and surely in no condition to be pushed harder further (I may be wrong). My plan is to find a good condition 1.6 Palio engine and put it under the hood of our Palio (Well i know it's easier said than done).

I need further guidance from all the senior members here about the possibility of such interchange. If it can be done or not? What are the changes required to be made to engine bay? If front suspension assembly needs to be completely changed or the current one can take the weight of 1.6 engine? Further, any other parts such as ECU, Exhaust pipe or even wiring needs to be changed or not? Also, what can be the legal issues that needs to be taken care of? e.g. RTO.

Also next planned upgrades are changing the stock wheel-rims and tyres with plus size alloys and tyres.

Budget is not a hurdle. We will be using this car on occasional weekend drives around Pune (not long ones).

Please guide me.

Thanks....
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    What you can do is find a used Palio 1.6 gtx and swap good parts of your car with the used gtx car. Save any money on body works and future expenses. All modifications are technically possible. However not worth the time and money or complexity too. Gearbox ECM braking many systems need working. Best to search for Palio S10 and buy.
    dadasaheb and Turbothinghy like this.