1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Engaging of the Gear not very precise ; need to haggle ; Punto MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by dev, Feb 16, 2013.

1. dev

dev

Mysore
    All,

Gear shifting is not smooth, I need to find the spot for the Gear to be engaged when moving 5th to 4th and from 2nd to 3rd Gear. The clutch was also getting hard so I got the Clutch Assembly changed as recommended by the TASS. The car has odo reading of 44k.

After that, Clutch is Smooth, but Gear shifting has not changed much. I still have issues when changing from 5th to 4th and 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes I need to search for the slot when changing the gear from 5th to 4th while in running.

Please advice.
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Check gear shifter assembly & cables also.
    If teflon coating of gear cable bad then shifting becomes hard.
  3. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    In my opinion FIAT Linea and Punto gear shifting is not as good as some other competitors.
    I have also changed my clutch at 45k and still gear shifting is not smooth. I think its called notchy in technical term.
    Now when changing gear I dont hurry at all, press the clutch wait for a second then smoothly pull the gear from lower slot and then push slowly
    into desired slot. I cannot hurry like before when the car was 10-30k old, it takes its time, if you hurry you will keep hitting the wrong spot :)
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I am replacing clutch at just 29000 kms.! Reasons: Vague, hard gearshifts. And it gets worse when you do a fast gear shift.
  5. Gokulk

Gokulk Novizio

CHENNAI
    Hello FIATians
    If you find issues with gear shifting only in particular slots like 2-3 or 4-5 definitely its not a clutch issue.Please take your vehicle to authorized service station & ask them to check for the following
    1.Gear shifter/selector cables for any kind of looseness or fitment issues
    2.Gear shifter/selector cables for lack of lubrication
    3.Gear shifting unit lubrication
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    2013 Linea and Punto models will have improved mechanism for better shift-ability feel.lets see if this change can be shifted to our old models as well.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Well the reasons for the issue was:
    Release bearing had become loose and was almost ready to come off in 2-3 parts. The engine noise had become pretty high, probably because of this. This in turn damaged the pressure plate. I consider myself lucky not to have a break down, which was very much possible.

Now clutch has become very soft and gear shift much better. The engine noise is back to normal. As of now, the clutch & gear gives the feeling of a new car. I can give more details in a couple of days when I drive more.
    Interestingly, whatever happens to the clutch, the pedal doesnt show any symptoms of dying. All symptoms are shown by the gear shift lever.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  8. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Dev, How old is your car ? normally gear shift is not smooth (butter smooth) like in other brands and one experiences this shift from other cars to FIAT, if its too hard check for the gear oil and other wear and tear at ASS.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Remimds me of my experience 3 months back. I had to get the master cylider replaced, of course, under extended warranty.

It requires bhai to dig up unanswered queries.
  10. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Folks, similar issue with my Punto.
    I have to search for the slot to push it to the 5th Gear and with much force.
    All other gears are normal as it used to be.
    Any pointers please?
    Car has done 39K and is a 2010 June model.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013