1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

End of an era - David Beckham retires.

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by gurjinder, May 20, 2013.

1. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Wake up dude! Its 2013!! That game was Sep/Oct 2009. And that's the only meaningful thing Owen did in his three years at United. No transfer fees but significant wages for that time - IT WAS WORTH IT because of THAT GOAL!!

Love Zizou's toenails and the Chelski comment. What with their Super FAT Frank and Captain Trash JT. I love how JT switched to his full Chelski kit and went up to receive the trophy last year in Munich and again this year for the Europa League. Saw this hilarious pic of JT in his full Chelski kit with Bobby Moore and co at the 1966 world cup trophy presentation. JT would have surely loved that!

Does any one remember Scholsey and Keano at the Nou Camp. They did not even come on the pitch at first at the final whistle and had to be pushed out to celebrate with the rest of the players. And yes they were in their full club suits and not their kits. They were both so sheepish taking the acclaim from the crowd as if they had no role to play in the success. Keano was the club captain and single handedly responsible for the semifinal comeback in Turin (I still get goosebumps when I see his goal against Juventus - the most selfless display of leadership and commitment I have ever seen on any sporting stage). And what about Scholesy - he was very unlucky to miss the final and had been fantastic in the run in to the final. Class personified!! But then that is United and Chelski can never get close irrespective of Roman's billions.

2009-2010 to be exact.
  2. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    I remember having a conversation with a Friend that season with the Speculation market in full swing with Ronaldo being sold and all. We were at work and SKY News was showing videos of Owen and how he was looking at clubs. My friend commented that with the speculation so rife, he wouldnt be surprised if Owen was linked to United and we were like thats not gonna happen. Next Morning, News Flash : Manchester United Signs Michael Owen !!!!! We were Flabbergasted !!
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Scholesy - true legend right there. Technical perfection, team player and what a class human being. Never the one to get carried away by superstardom and he is/was a demigod to us United freaks. Nitin paji you must be remembering his volley on the ball coming from the corner. I think it was Martin Tyler or Andy Gray on the commentary and he just went balls out nuts shouting!

And Scholes just celebrating with a smile.

What a squad they were. Those guys never let fame get into their heads. Ole, Giggs, Neville, Brown and who can forget Barthez ( :D ) . What a low point - from Schmeichel to Barthez. Schmeichel and Stam's departure took a great toll. And the part timers like Juan Veron. I liked the fella, pity he couldn't fit in.

Keano - LOL. I cant forget his Shearer slap! Shearer was just left looking like O_O and Keane being held back by his mates. His deliberate lunge at Halland was a real low point though. Else, he was quite a leader, in the old sense of the word - to the point, no spoon feeding no B.S. and leading from the front. Keane wouldn't be Keane without his temper ( or lack of temper really).

The thing that separated United ( under Sir Alex) was they never went for the big names unlike Real and Chels***. They nurture talent, grow it in their academies and see them blossom in the first team. I've not been following them much now, but my heart will always be there.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Regarding Owen - I dont think he should have ever been invited to United. I feel for the fella but after the goal against Argentina, he just couldn't live up.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Regarding Owen - I dont think he should have ever been invited to United. I feel for the fella but after the goal against Argentina, he just couldn't live up.
  4. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    I intend to tell that it was his last season at united. But it infact was his first season. Sorry for the wrong facts... But indeed was his best moment and his hatrick against wolfsburg in the champions league.
  5. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Scholesy was one of its kind. We would possibly never see his like again. THAT goal was at Valley Parade, Bradford City's home ground. In fact, he scored a few like that but the one at Bradford was the best of the bunch. Martin Tyler went totally bonckers!!

Barthez!! That nutcase doesn't belong in this list. If we had replaced Schmeichel properly, I am sure we would have won a couple of extra titles between 2000 and 2006, possibly a European cup as well (remember the semi against Leverkusen).

Keano was a monster. The Halland episode was a shame really but then Keano wasn't someone who could take one and not give back. Being an old time United follower, Keano and Eric were and are still my favourite United players ever (Scholesy is very close). The number of times Keano went berserk on his own teammates was a sight to behold.
    Last edited: May 22, 2013