1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

End of an era - David Beckham retires.

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by gurjinder, May 20, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Captain fantastic. Dead ball legend. Youth icon. Fashion idol. Doting father. And a host of other titles bestowed upon him by fans and harshest critics alike, has finally retired from all forms of football.

My admiration of the football player that Beckham is, has always stemmed from his immense technical acumen and ofcourse his leadership ability. In the modern era of the 2000's, english football has produced only two worthy leaders - Gerrard & Beckham ; men who lead by example and sheer charisma.

I hope Beckham takes up coaching in the future and culminates his coaching career at Manchester United - the club that gave him the wings to fly.

Cheers.

becks_2945792.jpg
    5 people like this.
  2. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

One of my fav. Galacticos and will always remain! :) Has his own style and charisma on and off the field.
  3. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Despite the media spotlight (all thanks to Posh Spice), his commitment never wavered to his profession and over the years he gained a lot of respect by displaying that at some of the top clubs around Europe. Who can forget his efforts in forcing Fabio Capello (one of the hardest taskmasters) to reinstate him to the Madrid team in his last season after he was frozen out when he announced his decision to go to LA Galaxy.

At United, I can never forget his trademark right wing crosses which were delivered with pin point accuracy on to the heads of Yorkie, Coley, Ole or Teddy (not forgeting his dead ball delivery from set pieces). The best thing about Becks was that he was a United fan first and then a player. And the fans ensured that he didn't fall apart when he was barracked by all corners after coming back from the 1998 world cup where he got sent off (and was made the scapegoat - too bad not many English players can take penalties). The support was amazing whether at home or away grounds even when other team's fans were hell bent on booing him through out games. Also when he came back to OT with AC Milan, he endeared himself to the fans by picking up the Green n Gold scarf thrown at him and wrapped around his neck. That showed he remained a United fan at heart and will always be. Thank you Becks, you shall be missed!!

@Gurjinder: I'm not quite sure he will go down the coaching route, when he has got much more lucrative options in taking up ambassadorial roles at PSG or delving into the fashion world. Lets wait n watch!!
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    Also Van Nistelrooy ,enabled by Becks to score 90% of the goals that he scored. Balls would land right at Ruud's foot - one touch and in the net. Yeah his fashion committments rival those of supermodels :p. But later down the line, if he decides to don the manager's hat, would be a good decision.

Another chap I would like to see as United manager is Gary Neville. These guys had United in their blood. If you were to open them up, you'll find the United logo on all their organs :evilsmile
  5. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Apart from Beckham, another legend, Jamie Carragher retired yesterday, after making his 737th and final appearence in 17 years at Liverpool.

Carra epitomised what Liverpool Football Club stands for, and perhaps showed that one can achieve more than one is supposed to, by sheer determination.

He is the footballer I idolize, as my playing style is pretty much similar to his. Has been an inspiration for the fans all these years, he will be missed.

Thanks for the memories, Carra, our working class hero.
    1 person likes this.
  6. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Props to Carra as well. Amazing professional! Even Fergie had good words to say about a scouser - that's a first! LFC even carried that interview with Fergie on their official website. On a lighter note, I was always hopeful that United could score against Liverpool if Carra was playing - he was so prone to scoring own goals that is!!
  7. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    Although I respect Carragher as a Player, But Just wanted to make one point. When he started Playing 17 years ago, Liverpool had won 18 Top Flight English Championships, and When he retired after 17 hears, Liverpool are still on 18 Top Flight Championships.................FACT !!

GGMU
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  8. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    All english vetrans retired this year. Including the forgetten great english striker Micheal Owen. Been one of the best strikers of the Y2K era.

I cannot forget his goal against Manchester City in the Injury time last season which Manchester United won.

Glory Glory Man United, Glory glory Man united, Glory glory Man united
    As the reds go marching on on on!!
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    Pretty funny "hate press" coming out since the past two days. As expected they are criticising his "lack of footballing skills" and saying he is only good for fashion statements.

One guy is saying he is not as great as Zidane/Messi. Come on now. Zidane? Who in the world can ever be like Zidane! Zidane has more talent in his toenail than the entire Chels*** squad combined :evilsmile

Zidane has his own special place in history of football and Beckham has his own.

Cheers.
  10. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    last season ????

that was like 3 seasons ago and owens first season with united.