1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

En route to Rameshwaram-Dhanushkodi...

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by thomman85, Sep 25, 2013.

1. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

I wanted to visit Dhanuskodi for the past two years, but some how had to keep postponing it. So this time around on Onam holidays, Me and my friends (Pramod, Jossy and Neeraj) decided to visit Dhanuskodi during Onam weekend Sept 14-16[SUP]th[/SUP].

I knew we had to hire a jeep to reach the Dhanushkodi, also read some review that they don't take us to the tip of the island nor do they stop at all locations and follow a fixed schedule of 3hrs.

We wanted some adventure and a chance to see the full island as we pleased. Since a 4x4 was necessary, taking my Punto was out of question. So we took the best 4x4 option we had, the new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    We were fully aware of the danger and risks involved in taking the vehicle through these waters.

Our route:
    Driving directions.JPG

Word of advice:Please plan your routes in detail. I did my research on Dhanuskodi, but took little interest in understanding the routes and directions. We used Google Maps on our phone to navigate. Although being very useful guides you to your final destination, it has its down side. The program recommended the route which takes the shortest time to reach destinations, which includes short cuts. Stick to main roads and highways. We ran into a few troubles, road became too narrow to go through and because of the size this monster, turning them in tight spaces is a nightmare. Considering the size, the turning radius of the Pajero at 5.6m , better than a Punto (2005-12 model) at 5.4m.

We started our journey from Changanassery around 4.00pm. Had a couple of stops on our way for dinner and refreshments. IMG_20130914_173349.jpg IMG_20130914_211453.jpg

The currently the roads in Kerala are terrible with full of potholes.
    Which bring me to compare the Ride and Comfort quality of a Pajero and Fortuner.
    The suspension was so good we seldom slowed down. I recently drove new Toyota Fortuner automatic and it’s not comfortable on bumpy roads. The one i drove had a upgraded suspension which cost an extra 1.5 lakhs installed from the showroom, and the drive was horrible. The vehicle literally throws you out of the seat. My friend who accompanied that the pajero was much better car to drive and also the more comfortable. The Fortuner i was mentioning belonged to him. He wished that the Toyota had everything from the Pajero except for the looks.

Tamil Nadu roads are just simply too good. Less traffic, good straight road and the ECRroad was awesome. We were doing 140km/hr consistently and one point we decided to check the top speed. IMG_20130915_002707.jpg
    The car was still pulling. But had to slow down as the road was pitch black and on top of that, the truck did not have any tail light. I promised myself that I will test the top speed on our way back.

I wasn’t too happy with the brakes on the pajero, i did'nt drive the Fortuner at these speeds, but felt the brakes were better on Toyota.

Another negative about the Pajero: U cannot have fun from splashing water on the road. You go over a porthole filled with water or a small water flood in the roads, the entire water falls onto the windshield making it very difficult to see. The company should have installed rain sensing wipers.

Reached Rameshwaram around 3.10Am and we went straight to Dhanushkodi. Looking on the map, it showed water on both sides. Road was straight and dark. It was windy and can hear the beach sand hitting on to the car from the side and finally reached a point where the tarmac just stopped. We were able to see a small portion of the beach. So returned and decided to look for a place to stay in Rameshwaram. Oh we dint book our stay, as we knew it wasn’t a busy season and also knew triple bedrooms are available, so went out looking for one.

Rooms are cheap. Ac rooms starts from Rs 600 going all the way to Rs4000.
    we spent our next 45min going through hotels and lodges that has parking facility Finally came back to the 1st lodge we reject, because they only had a vacant 6bed ac room. Friends negotiated and they agreed for Rs 2000 with a condition that we have to vacate at 4.00 am next day and also have to shift to a triple bed ac when it becomes available. IMG_6359.jpg It also had two bath rooms.
    Copy advance receipt
    The lodge is besides the Rameshwaram temple road, 2-3 minutes walk to the
    3 people like this.
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

So we check inn by 4.50am and decided to go see the sun rise, because we were sure if we go to the bed, then we’d probably only wake up noon and at those hours, going to the beach was unimaginable. Neeraj was't feeling so good.. so he stayed back while the rest of us headed towards Dhanushkodi, which is 18kms away from where we were staying. After a few kilometers, it’s a straight road ending at the beach. This time around the view was awesome, early morning sky, pine trees on both sides and a view of the beach through the woods…..

The sun was already up, so get a better view; we took a left to Kodanda Rama Temple. Kodanda Rama Temple.JPG It’s a small island with a temple in the center facing east. We parked the car and headed towards the water water body to get a better view. IMG_6170-copy.jpg We asked a local if it’s possible to go to the other side, and he said, come with me and he just started to walk through the water. We were quite surprised; the water level never went up above our ankles. IMG_6179.jpg IMG_6171-copy.jpg IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg IMG_6191.jpg Its a Jelly fish in the water:)
    IMG_6188.jpg IMG_6195.jpg IMG_6201.jpg IMG_6203.jpg IMG_6204.jpg
    We wanted to explore the area and was heading towards some trees.. that is when we noticed a local busy with his early morning business...so we returened and when we came to the shallow area..seeing the shallow water, we didnt have the same feeling when we 1st crossed it...

Sorry about the poor pictures.. we dint notice the dirt or what ever on the lens, until we saw it on the computer back home.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

The coniferous trees.. in real it was way more beautiful.. IMG-20130915-00896.jpg

The straight road from Dhanushkodi to Rameshwaram.
    IMG-20130915-00897.jpg the tall structure ahead, is a Lighthouse being build... not sure if the Information is fully accurate.

This is where the tarmac ends............. IMG_6210.jpg IMG_6212.jpg IMG_6214.jpg IMG_6215.jpg IMG_6222.jpg IMG_6225.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  4. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Some more pictures.......
    IMG_6380.jpg 25.jpg 26.jpg 27.jpg 28.jpg 29.jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg 35.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg 38A.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg 42.jpg 43.jpg 44.jpg 45.jpg 46.jpg 47.jpg 48.jpg 49.jpg 49A.jpg 50.jpg 50A.jpg 51.jpg 55.jpg 56.jpg 57.jpg 60.jpg
  5. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

some more from the return journey.. 72.jpg 73.jpg 74.jpg 75.jpg 83.jpg 84.jpg 58.jpg 59.jpg 60.jpg 61.jpg 62.jpg 63.jpg 64.jpg 66.jpg 67.jpg 68.jpg 69.jpg 70.jpg 71.jpg 77.jpg
    6 people like this.
  6. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Nice travelogue and pics. The special effects added by your camera lens was the icing on the cake. :D

7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Nice travelogue thomman.

Here'e another version of this photo taken by me in June this year. :D

2 people like this.
  8. Dipesh_enr

Dipesh_enr Amatore

Even i want to go there. This is in my plan too.::T