1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Emotion pack Central locking wiring got cut on its own near door hinge

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by PaddleShifter, Jan 5, 2013.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My Punto has suffered a strange issue. Its a 2.5 years old FIAT Emotion Pack and came with factory fitted central locking.

Since the past 6 months, I started noticing a strange thing in my car. You guys know that the front doors are 3 stage doors, i.e. they open in 3 stages and the rear doors open in 2 stages.

Whenever I would open the driver side door to come out of the car, and then close the driver side door, rest of the 3 door locks would make a very very faint noise when the driver side is being closed somewhere between the stage 3 and stage 2.

One fine day a few weeks back, the driver side door lock would no longer work as a master lock, i.e. when the driver side door is MANUALLY locked or unlocked, rest of the three door locks would not lock/unlock themselves. This was a slight inconvenience as I would have to bend over and use the co-driver side door to allow others to get in my car. Plus, I can't retrieve my bags etc from the rear seat now as the doors would be locked. I had to unlock the rear doors by pressing the button on the key everytime.

The central locking was working fine when locked/unlocked via the remote key and also the auto door locking above 20kmph was also working fine.

I showed this to the TASC at the time of my vehicle's 45000Km service last week and the issue was fixed as per the technician. As soon as I left the service center, the issue magically came back. So common to face this situation where the issue either does not appear at the service center or comes back soon. :p

Two days back, I visited the TASC again and showed the issue to the SA who attended my car during service. He called the same guy and showed the issue. The immediate response from the technician without even touching the car was that the wire of this car is cut near door hinge so call the electrician. Seeing the spontaneity of the response I don't know whether he knew this before and in case he did, why didn't they correct it the last time itself? :confused: Or maybe this issue has been reported before by others.

Joshi Autozone is the best service center of this region. The service advisers and technicians are highly knowledgeable and professional in their approach. :up

Anyways, the electrician opened the wiring near the door hinge and 2 wires were indeed found cut. :(
    I told them that I am uncomfortable with splicing of the wire and taping and would like to get a new set of wiring. But I found out that the whole wiring harness has to be replaced in that case.

Attached below is a pic of the two cut wires. So, there are a total of 4 joints and two new blue wires (marked by red arrows). The joints have been taped properly as per the SA.

Well on one hand, service centers void the warranty if any wire is cut during the installation of aftermarket music systems or central locking systems while on the other hand, a factory fitted wiring got damaged on it's own (because of frequent opening and closing of door) and is now having joints. Why void the warranty in case of cut wires then in other cases where people get the wires cut during electrical modifications if wire can be joined back in a case like mine?

I do not want to be at risk because of these joints.

20130103_122726.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Paddle,

In my opinion. You should fight for warranty in this issue. As the warranty was void by the tass by ignoring the cut wire.

By doing jugaad work on it earlier they have not only displayed their unprofessionalism but also put you and your car in risk of short circuit and a possibile situation of car catching fire.

If service center denies warranty (which im sure they will do) involve fiat.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  3. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Shadowfax, my warranty can't be void because of this cut wire since it got cut on its own and I had no role to play in it.

Regarding the solution, even I am not comfortable in getting the entire harness system opened up. I just wish that this particular wire set for driver side door could be made available for replacement so that there are no joints in the wire. If individual wires can't be replaced from the bunch, the whole set of these wires should be made available.

I am not sure whether spontaneous wire cutting is common or has been heard of in the cars of this segment but the TASC guys sounded as if they have encountered this issue before as well.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Did the wire become loose and was coming in between the door edges while door being closed? I'm wondering how did it get cut?
  5. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check the image again VP. The wires are located safely inside the black, corrugated rubber sheath. Co-relate the pic with the set up in Linea whenever you drive next. No wire is visible to the naked eye. They have opened up the system in this photo.

In fact, one other wire looks to be on its way of getting damaged. Notice the covering of a wire encircled in green is damaged leading to exposure of the copper part of the wire.

20130103_122726.jpg
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    This is indeed a peculiar case.. Never heard of anything like this before...
    Looking at the image thought it looks like you might not have any way to fix it without revamping the whole wiring harness, should you decide that you dont want to patch things up...

On the contrary i have another instance to quote you could try this approach though..
    I recently got my horns replaced (aftermarket) and that time the technician used some sort of clips to prevent cutting the wires (Not sure what they are called) and he connected those clips to the main horn wiring.
    I dont know if this is what you might be thinking of but you could try a similar approach of having clips connecting the 2 ends of the broken wires instead of just taping it up.

Does TASS have a better solution other than Taping , btw?
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am aware of the clips you are talking about TheBlack. Thanks for the valuable suggestion. I will definitely consider this plastic sheaths in case I decide to live with these joints.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I smell a rat, for two reasons:

1. The diagnosis without even touching the car
    2. The wire being inside the sheath and not easily accessible

I suspect your original problem started because of a loose contact in these wires and they were cut during the previous service, but were not reattached properly. This would explain the claim of the problem being fixed, but magically reappearing after the door was opened and closed a couple of times.

As long as this was done by TASS and there is mention in the bill (documentary evidence), I believe that the warranty will not be void. Even if they have to put an additional piece of wire to fix the issue, I would recommend you insist on soldering and heat shrinking. The regular insulation tape is not all that long lasting in the harsh environments of a car.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am also worried about other wires getting damaged, like the one I have shown in the edited post above.

EDIT- Thanks Patchyboy. :) Even I felt the same initially for a few seconds but then I do support their honesty as something must be wrong with the wire's contact, otherwise the rest of the 3 doors locks should not show any activity on moving the driver door (this was happening for the past 6 months). Plus, other wires are also on their way of getting damaged as evident in the photo. The service center that I visited is the best center in this area.

The blackening around the damaged red wire makes me feel that there was a chronic damage rather than wire cutting by TASC technician.
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    That's why I asked as I agree that no wires are visible to naked eyes.

Take a second opinion also that if one or 2 entire wires can be replaced rather than taping or replacing entire harness. Harness could be costly.